cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows server 2008 r2 file permissions

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am working on a project in which I need to create files dynamically. As these files are created dynamically, these are 'owned' by created user. From the same user I can read, write these files.

But if I try to access these files from other user accounts, those accounts have only read permission over the dynamically created files. But I need Write permission too. 

Any suggestions to help achieve this functionality is appreciated.

P.S.:This problem doesn't occur in windows 7.

Thanks in advance,

Prabhakaran.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,516 Views)

Make sure the extra users have read/write permissions on the directory that the files are saved in? It's definitely a windows permissions issue rather than a LabVIEW thing.

Right click the folder, go to properties and under security you should see the users that can access the folder and their permissions.

It probably doesn't happen in Win7 versus 2008 because of the more fine-grained permissions available for Server 2008.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,499 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Make sure the extra users have read/write permissions on the directory that the files are saved in? It's definitely a windows permissions issue rather than a LabVIEW thing.

Right click the folder, go to properties and under security you should see the users that can access the folder and their permissions.

It probably doesn't happen in Win7 versus 2008 because of the more fine-grained permissions available for Server 2008.

So does that means I cant do it programmaticaly?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,497 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Prabhu16

I don't think so - but it might be possible with admin rights and .NET / Windows DLL calls?

The one thing that might help you out is if you use a folder like the %programdata% (public application data - C:\ProgramData). It is possible as part of an Installer to create and 'unlock' (in the build spec) a folder in there (you also need to put a file in there - I put a dummy file as the config file is created by the application) and then I can read/write to it by different users.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 4 of 5
(2,492 Views)

Thanks Sam_Sharp. I found a vi on the net which uses .NET to acheve this and I have found that very useful. Again thanks for your fast response.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,482 Views)