From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will the change of type def. be updated to all connected controls?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am creating a type def. on a cluster in which numeric, string, array and error in/out will be contained. I save it as type def. (*.ctl). I drag the *.ctl file to a new VI which will create a copy. Later if I modify the original ctl file (e.g. change the label of the controls inside), the change will be refelcted to all related controls as mentioned in the help "When you save a custom control or indicator as a type definition, any data type changes you make to the type definition affect all instances of the type definition in all the VIs that use it." I wonder if this is true for any change of properity or only for some property. I try, for example, to change the data display format (scientific e.g.), change the size of the controls or even replace the regular controls with silver counterpart. I found that the changes will not reflect to all connected instances.

p.s. after the changes, I click "apply changes" and save the ctl but the same result

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,246 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dragondriver

This link might help. Try a strict type definition instead.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,231 Views)