LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no timed loop in the mac version of LabView?

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone know why there are no timed loops in the mac version of Labview 2012?

Also, does any one know if and/or when it will be available?  Cause its extremely difficult to generate multiple signals at different rates at a high percison with out it.

I'm sorry if this has been before, but I couldn't find it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,053 Views)

Who forces you to use a Mac?

bamatennis wrote:

Cause its extremely difficult to generate multiple signals at different rates at a high percison with out it.

This is very difficult (or impossible) on a general purpose OS. If you need high precision, you need LabVIEW RT or even FPGA.

Have you tried hardware timed signals instead?

What do you actually need to do? What kind of application is this? What kind of signals are you trying to generate? What are the various rates?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,048 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Well, in my case, I would ask "who forces to use the other plataform?"....

It may be workarrounds to solve this in a particular application, but what I think about LV functionality in general, if TimedLoops exist (even in Windows), I don't see why LabVIEW don't offer them in the other PC plataforms. Not matter how difficult is to develop them, that's NI job.

That's why we use (and pay for) tools like LabVIEW, not to worry to solve the intrinsics. At least, that's how LV was sold to me.

Mauricio Vidal
VIDAL & ASTUDILLO Ltda.
http://www.vidalastudillo.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,866 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bamatennis

@MVidal wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Well, in my case, I would ask "who forces to use the other plataform?"....

It may be workarrounds to solve this in a particular application, but what I think about LV functionality in general, if TimedLoops exist (even in Windows), I don't see why LabVIEW don't offer them in the other PC plataforms. Not matter how difficult is to develop them, that's NI job.

That's why we use (and pay for) tools like LabVIEW, not to worry to solve the intrinsics. At least, that's how LV was sold to me.

You are replying to an old thread.  I doubt the Original poster  will benifit  he has 1 post and has not logged in since 17Dec 2012

You may wish to start a new thread to discuss any concerns you are expressing.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,856 Views)

Well 4 years later, and assuming that you bumped this thread becuase you are dealing with the same issue I was at that time.  

I learned that it infact Apple who would not play nicely when cames to allowing 3rd party software to have certain levels control/acess over the processors in their Macs.  As a result some of the features we see on the other Operating systems, such as what is required for the NI LabView timed loop structure are not avaliable on apple machines.

Atleast, this is what I was informed to be the reasoning for this issue at that time and things could be different now as OS X is now on its 11 generation of the OS X 10 operating system.

In summary,  I ended up having to borrow a Windows machine with LabView on it in order to help out a friend who emailed me the VI file from another lab.

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 6
(2,834 Views)

Please note that while the timed loop is available on Windows it is NOT the recommended way to do realtime timed control of things. Windows as general purpose OS is not suitable to do any real realtime operation. The timed loop exists as it was easier to develop and test under Windows than on the NI realtime targets in the first place and as it needs to be present on the host application when used in any of the realtime targets as you get otherwise broken arrows during development. But it doesn't and can't guarantee the realtime determinisme that it provides on the realtime targets. As such NI has always discouraged the use of the timed loop in normal desktop applications, although they have not gone to the trouble of disallowing it.

The timed loop does allow a somewhat more precise timing control than a simple software controlled loop, but if you expect it to be strictly below several ms accurate you are basically fooling yourself. Windows can and will at times interrupt LabVIEW in ways that will throw off the timeing of even the timed loop, no matter how deep NI tries to reach into the kernel to prevent that from happening. Even in Windows 10 exists some infrastructure that was caried over from Windows 3.x days for the sake of compatibility and that can simply lock up the system for many ms (some of them are refered to in the programming world as BFL, which stands for big f_cking locks).

So in short the reason why the timed loop is only available on Windows is, because it wasn't required in the other platforms as none of them supports development for realtime targets anyhow. Yes it also hooks pretty deep into the Windows interna to attempt to do some kind of accurate timing, but it has inherently not a much better timing accuracy than a normal LabVIEW loop, not on Windows anyways. On the realtime targets that is a different story. Just for the sake of code partability between Windows and other platforms the investment was considered way to high to try to port this feature to non-Windows systems as it doesn't really add many advantages to normal loops and Apple is indeed very averse about letting developers have that kind of access into the OS kernel, while under Linux it is generally a sure way to make your code VERY kernel version dependent.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 6
(2,770 Views)