From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the difference between VISA and GPIB?

The reason i am asking this question stems from a problem i am having.

I am using an MXA N9020A to aquire Burst Power measurements and i'm using labview to automate and issue the commands.  If i connect to the device using VISA (which is how i pretty much have connected to other devices) and i issue a command :INIT:TXP it will start the burst power and then freeze the measurement disallowing me from changing channels to measure other channels' burst power.  If i use the GPIB VI instead it will not do this and I am capable of channel hopping to measure other channel powers.  I really dont have a reason to use VISA other than to keep it uniform with everything else in the application but why is this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,012 Views)

Hi Brent,

Thank you for your post.  Before I can answer this question, I'll need a little bit more information from you.  Which version of VISA are you using?  Also, are you running in asynchronous or synchronous mode?  I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Todd V. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,975 Views)

Hi, thanks for helping me out here.  I'm using LabVIEW 8.5 here and shortly i will be installing 8.6 i do believe.  I have not specified whether I'm using asynchronous or synchronous mode to send the GPIB commands so i'm assuming whatever is the default.  I also have not specified the mode in which i am sending the packets so i would assume mode zero.  thanks for any explanations!

Brent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,933 Views)

Hi Brent,

Thank you for your quick response.  This should not be happening, as the VISA VIs merely make calls to the NI-488.2 DLLs.  Which version of NI-VISA and NI-488.2 are you using?  Could you also attach both of your VIs (the 488.2 one that works and the NI-VISA one that doesn't)?  Also please perform one NI-Spy capture for each VI, and attach the two resulting screen shots.  If you need assistance performing the NI-Spy capture, you can find more details here.

Regards,

Todd V. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,892 Views)

I apologize for the delayed response but in the midst of doing this i had deleted anything with VISA communicating with the MXA.  When i went to recreate it all i was getting the same results that i had with GPIB which were still not favorable.  I will need some time to get back to you with all this as i will do some more investigating myself.  Thanks for the prompt replies though!

-Brent

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,851 Views)