LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does the labview.ini entry cleanupVisa do?

running W2000; LV6.1;
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,587 Views)
This is the same as the 'Automatically close VISA sessions' option on Tools >> Options >> Miscellaneous. According to the LabVIEW docs, this option 'automatically closes VISA sessions left open by the application when the top-level VI becomes idle.' Even if you have this option turned off, I believe LabVIEW still cleans up the VISA resources on exit (instead of every time the VI becomes idle). So you can probably leave this option off, unless you're sharing a serial port between LabVIEW and other apps.

For more information on INI settings, see Brian Renken's excellent guide at http://labview.brianrenken.com/INI/
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,587 Views)

Reopening this thread...

The LabVIEW help documentation has this description:

• Automatically close VISA sessions—Automatically closes VISA sessions left open by the application when the top-level VI becomes idle. This checkbox does not contain a checkmark by default. 

So in this context, does top-level VI mean:

calling VI?

OR

the VI that opened the VISA session in the first place?

OR 

something else?

I'm trying to understand how this will work when calling VIs from TestStand using the LVRTE as the adapater.

Using LV2012 TS 2012

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,197 Views)

This is rather late, however I just stumbled over your Q when searching for that item.

@icastillejos wrote:

Reopening this thread...

The LabVIEW help documentation has this description:

• Automatically close VISA sessions—Automatically closes VISA sessions left open by the application when the top-level VI becomes idle. This checkbox does not contain a checkmark by default. 

So in this context, does top-level VI mean:

calling VI?

OR

the VI that opened the VISA session in the first place?

OR 

something else?

I'm trying to understand how this will work when calling VIs from TestStand using the LVRTE as the adapater.

Using LV2012 TS 2012

Thanks,

When running a hierarchy of VIs in LabVIEW this means the main vi that opened the visa session or containes a sub-VI which does, becomes idle AKA no longer runs and could be restarted again.

As long as the VI that opened the VISA session does not show the white start arrow, as long the VI is not idle and the VISA ressource ist still kept.

Looks like this entry can also be used with built applications...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,135 Views)