LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does mean "property node and invoke node"?

I want to read excell file and could program it with refering to this discussion board.
But I can't understand details of this process.
For examples , What does mean to put "workbooks,visible,Displayalert"?
and What does mean "open,filename,etc・・"?
I want to be taught this object meaning each process as minutely as possible.

Hope your help!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,152 Views)
Property and invoke nodes stem from Object oriented programming where all object's have properties(values which define the object or state of the object) and methods (functions which allow the object to be manipulated or perform a routine on another object)  in labview the property node is the equivalent of a get/set accessor of an objects property (in this case it is an activeX reference to an excel object) and the invoke node will allow you to call methods of the object.  These notions from oo programming can be somewhat foreign to a labview programmer bet have been employed in VI server and activeX labview programming for many years. 

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,136 Views)

Hi,falkpl. Thank you for your answer. I can almost understand an outline.

In addition, I want to be taught more Information.

In opening excell, What process do I have to do? and Why do I have to do?(in other words, What does this command mean?)

For example, First, Get automation refnum. Second, set "open in property node.・・・・・。

For opening  excell file in LabVIEW, What does it happen?

I am Japanese so my poor english may enable you to understand  what I want to say・・・・Smiley Sad

I am looking forward to your answer. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,115 Views)
Typically with any activeX programming in labview you drop an reference to an object , open the reference, then invoke the methods and set the properties and when done you close the reference.  To select what reference you would like right click on the activeX reference and choose "browse".  The excel object library provides many activeX interfaces but typically you would manipulate the application object, Workbook or worksheet but I have only used the excel interface a few times, I prefer to use excel offline and not directly communicate with the application programmaticly.  You can also place an axtiveX container on the front panel and select the Excel container object to embed an excel instance on your front panel.  Good luck.
Paul
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,102 Views)
If you want more in depth help on the interfaces allowed in excel, you can go to MSDN on Microsoft's web site and look for documentation.
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,103 Views)
Here is an example vi that may help you get started.  There are more Excel examples in the Examples Finder, start Labview, click on arrow next to open, click on Examples, search for Excel.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,082 Views)

Hi,falkpl.

It is useful infomation for me.

Your advice help me to develop more LabVIEW's knowlegde.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,051 Views)

Hi,tbob.

Your comment in each process is very usuful for me.

I can understand why I have to put this command.

by the way, What Is "Examples Finder " in your reply ?  Is there file in the first install ?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,050 Views)
The Example Finder is part of LabVIEW.

To lauch it, just open LabVIEW and go to "help...Find Examples...". Good luck! 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,046 Views)