From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web publishing, shared variable & datasocket differences

I want to view some measurements from the network. I already used the web publishing tool and they told me that i can also use shared variable and datasocket.

which are the differences?
(I have used only the web publishing tool but no the others)

there is any way to control a vi from a computer that Labview is not installled?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,225 Views)
FEFEF,
Shared variables and datasocket are a means to transfer data between programs and across the network. Shared variables are like simplified datasocket. Both serve a somewhat different purpose than remote front panels (RFP). RFPs are designed to allow people to easily access and control VIs via the web whereas datasocket and shared variables are a means to transfer data between vis. The short of it is RFPs are easier to use and set up but not as powerful as shared variables and datasocket.

You can control a VI from a computer that doesn't have LabVIEW already installed. You can use TCP as the means to communicate from one program to another. There are shipping examples that show how to construct a LabVIEW TCP server. Go to help>>Find Examples and then select the "search" tab and type in tcp. You'll find a number of examples there.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,209 Views)