From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warning when opening a vi

How do I get rid of the following warning : C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\utility\NIReport.llb\Set Report Font.vi
    - LabVIEW 8.0 changed a constant that was wired to a Case structure to a hidden control to maintain compatibility with LabVIEW 7.1 and earlier.
    - LabVIEW 8.0 changed a constant that was wired to a Case structure to a hidden control to maintain compatibility with LabVIEW 7.1 and earlier.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,680 Views)
Hi Bart,

that's interesting Smiley Surprised

Normally you shouldn't get a warning, in my LV8.2 installation everything seems to be ok with this vi.

But to get rid of the warning you should simply save the vi with LV8.2!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,669 Views)
That warning comes as a result of compiler changes. In older versions of LV wiring a constant to a case selector just got compiled that way, keeping all the code in the unused cases. More recently as the compiler got better at optimizing code, it knows the other cases will never execute so it tries to omit that. When upgrading older code, it converts the constant to a control with the default value set to the value of the constant and hides it on the front panel. That way the new compiler will keep all the code that is in the unused cases.

In LV 12 it is expected that the compiler will be able to read the mind of the programmer and generate code to do what was intended, not necessarily what was put on the diagram.

Lynn
Message 3 of 6
(2,655 Views)
Hi Lynn,

good explanation of the problem.
But:
The mentioned vi is part of the standard LV8.2 installation. So it should be a LV8.2 vi (as is the case with my installation)! And so there should be NO warning...
And why is the error "LabView 8.0 has changed..." when the vi should be version 8.2? Why is there a LV7.1 vi in the LV8.2 vi.lib?
Did Bart overwrite the new vi with some old versions?
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,650 Views)
GerdW,

I missed that part. I do not get any error when I open that VI from the 8.2 vi.lib.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,642 Views)
I saved the vi with LV8.2.1 and I have no warning anymore.
Thanks ! 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,619 Views)