From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visa interface controll

Hi,
I have a problem with visa interface controll.
I would like to communicate with the RFID reader via a serial converter.
Beginning of the message is STX, ascii 0x02 and end ETX, ASCII 0x03. message is 2 bytes long. 
So that it is obvious.

1.PNG (78 KB)
2.PNG (82 KB)
3.PNG (73 KB)

see the attachment

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,708 Views)

Hi virje,

and what is your problem?

You need to send those STX/ETX chars to your device!

(And I guess it doesn't recognize this *IDN? message anyway…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,700 Views)

I want to read messages from RFID card.STX and ETX are the start and end character messages with RFID cards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,693 Views)

Well, here's some general tips:

Make sure your serial port settings are correct.

You want to send non-printable characters, so use \xx where "\" is the \ character and "xx" is the two-digit hex ASCII code.  (See here.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,691 Views)

well connected ... I checked with TeraTerm ... by default this is the start and end character card ... I can not change ...Which is my alternative?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,683 Views)

You have your VISA terminal set to use XON/XOFF flow control and that is using the STX and ETX characters.  Perhaps that is confusing the communication protocol which is supposed to be STX at the beginning and ETX at the end of the message data.  Get rid of flow control.  Most devices nowadays don't require it.

Can you attach your LabVIEW code?  Using the VISA interactive control in MAX can be good for some simple things to test out communication, but I don't think it is appropriate for your situation.

PS:  What happened with your first message?  The text is very small.  And why all the blank boxes in that message, and one more with the last message.  Be careful with the buttons on the editor toolbar.  It seems you used the "Insert Code" button on that multiple times for no reason.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,673 Views)
Stupid mistake .... I changed my USB port and works!!!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,649 Views)

Please stop using the insert code box you picked for your message.

Just type your message.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,643 Views)