LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vilib, userlib and instrlib folder location

Hi,

I'm using LV 8.6.1.

Is there any chance to move the three library folders outside LabVIEW directory and modify the LV installer to

automatically put the files in the modified locations?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,049 Views)

No.

Obvious question: why? vilib is a core folder.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,046 Views)

1. No for both parts of the question or only for one of them?

2. To control the source code of course. I'd like to be sure that every machine is using the same set of libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,042 Views)

@MimiKLM wrote:

1. No for both parts of the question or only for one of them?

Yes. Smiley Wink

2. To control the source code of course. I'd like to be sure that every machine is using the same set of libraries.

The source code of what? LabVIEW? Those folders are populated during the LabVIEW install or other installers, like DAQmx. Anything after that is placed in by the user. As I noted, vilib is where the core LabVIEW stuff is. You shouldn't be messing with this at all. instrlib is where instrument drivers go. userlib is where you put additional stuff, such as OpenG. If you are trying to control your source code then I suppose you could put instrlib and userlib under source code control, but uninstallation/reinstallation of LabVIEW will probably screw it up since it would blow away these directories.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,033 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

The source code of what? LabVIEW (...)

Two reasons:

1. What I'm trying to gain doing so is to create a sole, controlled source of VIs for the team.

2. What I'm trying to gain doing so as well is to to prevent mass compiling operation to modify the files and loosing the  control  of what has been changed.

Do you think that I could achieve point 2 by locking the user.lib and the instr.lib folders to be read only or setting the RO credentials?

Let assume I moved these two folders outside the LabVIEW. Shall I then let LV know I moved them somewhere else than  search paths? Would it be enough that I would made the fresh LV instalation, import these two folders into the repo, check them out to some network share (RO), delete them off from LV folder and modify the search directories to point to the new locations?

K.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,025 Views)

It would probably be easier to keep your controlled source of VIs in a separate location that's under source code control. Then each developer can include that directory in their search path and whenever there are updates to this core set of files they can just pull down the updates. I don't think messing around with the LabVIEW core directories is a good idea.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,015 Views)

This is what I and a lot of other developers do: use VIPM. Primary reuse-code is maintained under SCC. A benefit is that you don't need a giant repo, but have a dedicated repo for the reuse code; seperated from the projects. Then make a package out of it, a feature now included in the free community edition. There was always versioning enforced with the packages.

This package goes into the project repo if in use. Deploy it (automated copy into vi.lib, user.lib, instr.lib and a lot more locations). Use it. Spending some money on VIPM (Pro or Enterprise) makes this process more comfortable, e.g. generate a snapshot of all reuse packages of a project.

Please note, I'm not working for or getting any money from JKI. I'm just using their free edition, and I think it's good SW.

Felix

Message 7 of 7
(5,003 Views)