LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi won't compile into stand alone application with a runtime menu

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a VI I am trying to compile into a stand alone application but unfortunately receive this error whenever I try to build the application:

Error 1 occurred at Invoke Node in AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Engine_Build.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @. ========================= NI-488:  Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

Method Name: Linker:Write Info To File

I am fairly certain that this error arises due to adding a custom runtime menu to the VI.  This exact same VI builds an application without any problems if I just change the runtime menu back to the default one.

I've tried adding the runtime menu file to the project library, but that didn't help anything.

This is extremely confusing to me.  I've built applications that used custom runtime menus before without any issue, and cannot figure out what's different about this situation.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,644 Views)

Hi,

If there is no other reference to Runtime Menu, did you include it into the "Always inlclude" section?

How do you reference it in your LV-Development Environment? How do you access the path to it?

Can you place a little scahled down version of the project and vi ?

Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
Message 2 of 9
(2,619 Views)

Hello Gabi,

I did include the runtime menu file in the Always include section, and got the same error.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're asking with the second question, so I'll say this:

I assign the custom runtime menu to the VI by going to (on the VI front panel) edit -> Run-Time Menu...  then changing it to custom and adding what I wanted.  I saved it in the same directory as the VI.  When closing the Runtime menu edit box it asks if I want to make the custom runtime menu the runtime menu the VI will use, to which I choose yes.

So far, I have no reference to the runtime menu within the VI at all.  I initally had an event structure with a menu selection event case but deleted that from the VI when I got this error on building. 

Just FYI, the VI runs correctly when run in the LabVIEW development environment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,610 Views)

Du you have Diagram disable structures with dynamic vi-calls? I've had compilation errors with those.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,599 Views)

Yamaeda,

No diagram disable structures 😞  Although that's good to know.  I hope I remember this if that issue ever comes up.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,595 Views)

Hi 

"RT Menu Path" is a property of the VI. Wire the path to your .rtm file here, it should work.

Sometimes it is a bit tricky to locate file pathes inside the exe. Easiest is to put the file to the exe root. (Destination in the build menue). If in doubt show your resolved path in an indicator.

Just one question, you are referring the pull-down menue, not the right-mouseclick pop up of a frontpanel object?

Tell us about your solution.

Regards Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
Message 6 of 9
(2,578 Views)

Gabi,

Wonderful suggestion. 🙂

In order of what I tried:

I tried wiring a file path constant pointing to my runtime menu to the RT Menu Path property of the VI property node AND left that same runtime menu selected as the runtime menu via the method I described in my first reply.  This resulted in the same error.

I left the file path constant wired to the property node AND changed the runtime menu back to default via the method described in my first reply.  This successfully built the application, but the application has the default runtime menu instead of the custom one on the end computer.

I changed the constant to a control and copied both the runtime menu file and the .exe onto the end computer, set the path control to the runtime menu's path on the end computer, and viola this worked.

In all attempts I always had the runtime menu file included in the project library and also in the "Always Include" section of source files.

And yes, I am referring to the pull-down menu, not a right mouse click event. 🙂  Thank you for your help Gabi!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,571 Views)

I'm glad it worked in the end.

Just one hint. Placing the RTM outside of the exe allows you to change it later without touching the EXE. 

Just be sure to make the path inside the program relative to the application (i.e. the exe) so it is not dependant on the location in the file system.

Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author coolshoeshine

For anyone that may find this in the future:

Repairing the LabVIEW installation on my computer fixed this problem immediately.  I can now compile the same program by setting the run time menu on the front panel, as opposed to programmatically by pointing it to an external file.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,511 Views)