From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi for frequency and waveform aquisition

Hi,

Firstly i must make clear that i am a complete novice with Labview.

For a current project i am trying to test a hall sensor which shall output a voltage, it will be in the form of a square wave. The frequency can vary from 50hz to 5000hz.

I simply require to analyse the waveform at various frequencies. Therefore a waveform graph and a counter for frequency would be nice.

I have been trying to build a vi from scratch but now my time is running out and i have decided it would be best to have a ready made solution on standby.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,347 Views)

@bazzac wrote:

Hi,

Firstly i must make clear that i am a complete novice with Labview.

For a current project i am trying to test a hall sensor which shall output a voltage, it will be in the form of a square wave. The frequency can vary from 50hz to 5000hz.

I simply require to analyse the waveform at various frequencies. Therefore a waveform graph and a counter for frequency would be nice.

I have been trying to build a vi from scratch but now my time is running out and i have decided it would be best to have a ready made solution on standby.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Barry

Yep.  Start sooner next time.  😄

Seriously, though.  Are you willing to shell out some dough?  People here don't work for free, you know.  Put up some code and we're willing to help you find a solution, though.

edit:

There are some great tutorials listed on the right sidebar of the main forum page.  That should help some.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,341 Views)

In addition to the Tutorials as  so aptly suggested:

You didn't say what hardware you are using (please do so in future posts - along with your code).

If your hardware is controllable by DAQmx, there are tools to make this easy.

Some useful resources:

1) Example Programs - from LabVIEW menu - Help ->Find Examples...

These are your "ready made solutions".

2) DAQ Assistant - From the Pallets - Measurement I/O -> NI-DAQmx-> DAQ Assist

DAQ Assistant will guide you through configuring your hardware.

Test panels allow you to graph your signals.

You can use the result as an Express vi or (better) convert the results into code (right click option). 

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,308 Views)

ok, so the main difficulty i am having is related to the DAQ internal clock, i am having difficulty creating a "digitising parameters.ctl " to include in my digital oscilliscope express.

i am following John Essicks book "labview for scientists and engineers. but where i try to enter mathscript i am having errors which i have no way of interpreting properly, similarly my wiring has errors which i cannot fathom.

Other than this, the rest seems fine.

Any ideas or recomendations

Regards,

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,259 Views)

hardware is pci 6025E DAQ

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,235 Views)

Barry,

If you are wondering why people are not jumping in to help you, you might consider:

1) No code

Bill (Billko) Said: “Put up some code and we're willing to help you find a solution”

I requested “… along with your code”

2) Even if people happen to have the book you mention (most, like me don’t), what are they supposed to do?  
    Read the whole book and guess what part applies?

Based on these issues, people will move on to those they *can* help.

steve

Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,212 Views)

Barry,

please note that the device you have is "very" old (>10 years). I don't know how old the book is you have, but i want to point out an important fact:

You can use the "Traditional DAQ" or the "DAQmx" to drive that device. I strongly recommend you to use DAQmx as trad. DAQ is not maintained anymore.

So if the book you use refers to trad. DAQ: DO NOT USE THAT CODE!

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,201 Views)