LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi deployment for web viewing

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit confused with how the internet toolkit works at etc.

Basically i have a SCADA system... which I want the VI to be visible from anyone remotely via the web browser.
Whats the best way going about this?

Do i need Labview/G Web Server installed on the SCADA machine?? Or can i build my VI with G Server (or install apache on the SCADA machine and run the VI)??

Please help 🙂
Thanks.

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,205 Views)
Hi Dan,

Starting with LabVIEW 6.1, we integrated the ability to publish VI's over a web connection into LabVIEW itself, so the Internet Toolkit is not required to allow remote access to your VI's over a browser connection.  The simplest way to go about it if you have version 8.2 is to follow the instructions outlined in the LabVIEW documentation.  Earlier versions also have steps outlined in the shipping help, but the procedure for each is slightly different.

Can you tell us what version of LabVIEW you're using on the primary machine?

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,181 Views)

HI Mat

I have posted a message about the labview's internet/network capability. I haven't had any replies. L  

I’m running a distributed system, which means i have to run the VI over a network. I need to send control and indicators values and invoke them at the same time. How do i do this across a network???? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,174 Views)
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help. That link is very good, but i dont think totally answers what im looking for...

At the end it says:

Note  The server computer managing remote front panels must have the LabVIEW Full or Professional Development System or must build the front panels into a stand-alone application. Clients can use any LabVIEW development system to view and control those front panels remotely.

So i want to do the second option; i rather not deploy LabVIEW full dev system on the server computer.

When i click on the link, it gives me comprehensive information on how to build into an application, but does not mention how to build it so it can be embedded in a webpage remote management etc... Thats what im looking for...

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,167 Views)
Hi Dan,

I think this article in our KnowledgeBase may be just the thing that you are looking for, assuming you're working with LabVIEW 8.x.  If not, you can search the KnowledgeBase for Remote Panel EXE and you should find a KB article relating to your version.  If I can be of more assistance, please let me know!

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,149 Views)
Thanks! Thats exactly what I need...

One more question, how do I change what port i host my app on? Ive gone through all the steps, and deployed it on my server to test it, but I cannot use port 80 as i am using other tasks.
Im guessing its some sort of syntax in the .ini file....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,140 Views)

dont worry i just worked it out.

in the .ini file, set WebServer.Port="67843"  and replace that number with whatever port you want to use.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,139 Views)
Hi Dan,

Glad to hear it's working for you!  If you run into new questions that you can't find documentation for, come on back to the forums and we'll be glad to help you out with LabVIEW!
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,130 Views)
Hi Matt or anyone else that can help,

I have another question/issue.
I navigate to my page with the hosted vi with another computer that has never installed Labview (or realtime engine etc)...
So the page should ask me straight away that i need Labview RTE, and if i'd like to install it.

But instead, it takes a very long time (more than 2 minutes), before Internet Explorer tells me that i need to install 'LVRunTimeEng.exe'.

Upon accepting it and running, it then takes a longer time still to install and etc.....
This has occurred on a few computers.

I have searched the NI dev site and forums, but cant find anything about this problem.

Have i done something wrong with my deployment? Or is this the norm? What are my options?

Thanks,
Dan
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,111 Views)

just adding to my earlier post....

The runtime engine takes a while to install and etc... and then also makes you reboot.

So just to explore my options, what other ways are there to display running VI's over the web?

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,107 Views)