LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi crashes labview

Hello

I have a tricky problem concerning a few of my vi's. Some background first, I was given a folder of vi's and asked to make sure the TL axis files worked with the setup I have. To do this I converted the whole folder "Advanced 8.5" from a 2012 version to the 2008 version I have on my machine. After a very kind person on the NI forums converted them for me I checked to see if they were working. ALL the vi's work except the TL axis files which are the most important ones to me. Upon opening any of the not working files, they just crash LabVIEW with no helpful error message.

I am posting here in the hope that someone may have had a similar experience or may know where to begin to solve the problem (if it can even be solved...).

I have attached the folder containing all the vi's and subvi's I was given, inside is also a picture of what appears on my screen when I run any of the TL axis files.

I am brand new to LabVIEW so I am sorry if anything I said above is unclear.

Thank you in advance for your time

JH

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,474 Views)

On my system, I can open all the the TL files without a problem, using either LV 2012 ot LV 2011.

However I cannot open your image file (error1.jpg).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,432 Views)

See if you can open this jpg file, although it is more of a visual aid as the error message does not provide any helpful feedback. Another one of my colleagues was also able to open all of them in 2011 and 2012 versions. But my dilemma is that the setup I am using has a 2008 version on it. 

Thanks for your feedback 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,403 Views)

Hello L4ser,

I was able to reproduce the issue on LabVIEW 8.5.1 with several of your VIs, including some not in the TL axis files folder.  It appears the reason for this is there are front panel objects in these VIs that are not compatible with 8.5.1.  A solution for this would be to open each VI that crashes in a LabVIEW version that works and delete or replace the controls or indicators that are causing the problems.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,363 Views)

Hi FoxSquirrel,

Thank you for your response, I will do what you said and try to modify the VIs in a compatible version of LabVIEW.

One more thing, is there anything I should be focusing on when trying to find the elements that are causing the problem? i.e. Are there any indicators/controllers that are commonly known to not be compatible with older versions of LabVIEW? This would help me in the debugging, but if there isn't any that's ok you already helped me out a lot by narrowing down the problem to a possible solution and I thank you (again) for that.

JH

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,352 Views)

L4ser,

I played around with it a little bit more today and found something peculiar.  I looked at TL Scan in Miscellaneous.  The problem with this VI was it crashed because the Reference was in a cluster.  Removing the reference from the cluster fixed the issue.  Then, when the VI was opened in 8.5.1, I just dragged the reference back into the cluster.

I dug a little bit more and decided to Save for Previous Version, but I selected to save it as 8.2 instead of 8.5.  This showed some errors about certain functions not being compatible with 8.2 but I ignored them.  I then opened this version in 8.5.1.  I had no issues with LabVIEW crashing.  I haven't checked the functionality of these VIs, however, they have all been able to open without crashing for me.

My recommendation is to save all of the VIs for 8.2, open them in 8.5.1, and then see if that works for you.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,310 Views)

Hi again,

I will do what you recommend and see how that goes, thanks again for taking the time to help me.

JH

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,277 Views)