LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using tcp/ip to communicate through a wireless network

Hi !

I have established a wireless network between two computers using two usb wireless adapters and I want to send messages between the two computers using labview. From what I have been told , tcp/ip vi's should do. But i have tried them and they are not working. Can anybody please tell me how should i go about it? ( I used simple data server and simple data client vi's from the examples in Labview)
Plz help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,539 Views)

When you say that it doesn't work, do you get any error codes generated? Can you successfully ping from one pc to the other?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,530 Views)
I have turned off the firewall and I also replaced the 'localhost' string with the IP of the server in the example but it gave generic error in tcp open connection. I also entered the name of the server computer in place of localhost and then it didn't show any error but connection just timed out.
Basically I haven't been able to ping from one pc to another. Can you pls tell me a way to ping from one pc to another or to find out whether labview is detecting the wireless network or not?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,526 Views)

Does the wireless control panel report that a connection is established?

Go to each computer, open an command window, type "ipconfig /all" and show us the output for both machines.

Message 4 of 8
(3,523 Views)

@ank_gup wrote:
I have turned off the firewall and I also replaced the 'localhost' string with the IP of the server in the example but it gave generic error in tcp open connection. I also entered the name of the server computer in place of localhost and then it didn't show any error but connection just timed out.
Basically I haven't been able to ping from one pc to another. Can you pls tell me a way to ping from one pc to another or to find out whether labview is detecting the wireless network or not?

Well if you can't ping then the network setup itself is seriously misconfigured. ping tests about the lowest level of IP network communication and if that doesn't work you should first try to find the configuration problem before even attempting to debug TCP/IP or UDP or other higher level protocols.

LabVIEW does not detect any network interface at all. It just uses the system network services and they need to be setup correctly in order for network traffic to work at all. Since your firewall is already disabled I would suspect network address configuration problems. Without specific routers the IP addresses of both computers need to be in the same subnet and both computers need to be configured to use the same subnet range too.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 01-27-2007 08:31 PM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 8
(3,514 Views)
thanks for all the replies . I would also like to tell that I have been able to create a network between two pcs using those wi-fi adapters and has also sent few files from one pc to another but i haven't been able to do the same using labview.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,490 Views)
Then try out one of the TCP/IP examples. First run both client and server on your local computer then over the network. Looking at them will also show you how TCP/IP in LabVIEW can be used.

And if you want to transfer files in LabVIEW between computers you will have to do some work. TCP/IP itself is not a file transfer protocol such as FTP but the base of such protocols.

The Internet Toolkit does come with an FTP VI library however.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,484 Views)
Thanks for the support guys........ its working now........ thanks once again
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,417 Views)