cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using sound VIs in labview 7.0 professional development suite

Solved!
Go to solution

hello all

i hav a built a VI that aquires a thermocouple signal through my daq card....i intend to use sound VIs whenever my temp.exceeds set point..in short sound should b generated whenever temp.exceeds certain limit...... i hav used a "Beep" VI in my code....but no beep occured even if my temp.crossed set point.....is there any other platform required for using sound VIs??....i work on labview 7.0 professional development suite.

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,022 Views)

Are you saying the Beep does not work, or are you saying your code does not work? Have you simply placed the Beep VI on a block diagram by itself and run the VI? Do you hear a beep? If you don't, then have you checked the speakers? If it does, it points to a problem in your code.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,007 Views)

Did you set the Beep.vi to output something properly?  If you use the default settings you will probably hear a default tone through your sound card NOT the PC speaker.  If you want to hear the PC speaker try setting frequency and duration to 1000 and turn OFF the "use system alert".

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,000 Views)

hello

after i posted this msg i heard a beep sound on my  pc speakers by placing only beep vi on block dig...and also with my code running properly.( that when my set point exceeded beep started ringing)......but after that i tried experimenting on many sound VIs.....n now when i place beep vi seperately on a block diagram it is not giving audio signal....same is happening with my code also....i cant here sound.....after successfully hearing  beep sound on my pc speakers now wat suddenly happened with it??......would it b due to opening and closing many sound vis at a time??....like it happens in case of DAQ devices..that wen v use traditional daq devices n try using DAQmx devices after that they don't run unless v reset our traditional daq drivers.....so is it possible in case of sound vis also?...atleast a separate beep vi should run giving sound on speakers if i assume my code is wrong...

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,989 Views)

The sound VIs shouldn't affect the ability to hear sounds unless maybe you opened a reference to the sound card and failed to close it.  That might lock the resource but I can't reproduce the effect on my system.

Try this:

beeps.JPG

It should alternate beeps on your sound card speakers and the PC speaker.  Do you hear either beep?

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,983 Views)

One thing to keep in mind is that in earlier versions of LabVIEW the inputs to the Beep VI were ignored on Windows since you could not change the tone. This was actually explicitly stated in the documentation. I don't believe that's true with newer versions of LabVIEW however.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,979 Views)

thanx...but we dnt hav sound card at our lab.... would jus playing wid the  different sound vis can cause any opening of reference to the sound card??.....i didn't hear beep on my pc speakers  by placing only a beep vi on seperate block diagram...could u pls tell me how to close that reference to the sound card??..

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,963 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sku1988

Wait, now I'm confused. Now you're saying you don't hear a beep when using the Beep VI by itself, but before you said you did. So do you or don't you? And if you did, but now don't, what did you change? Can you hear the normal beep from the operating system? If you're on Windows, go to the Sound control panel and see if you can hear any of the sounds. While most of them won't work, at least the error one should. I think.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,955 Views)

thank you....

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,946 Views)