LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb to serial to ethernet

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a usb-to serial - to ethernet adaptor scheme.   The end-device has an output ethernet port programmed to communicate on port 514 (it has a static ip as well)

While I have experience using the usb to serial to ethernet environment (works like a regular visa device on a corresponding com-port) is there a way to set it to communicate through port 514.

Any ideas how to approach it?  I don't have a programmed device yet, but I am trying to prepare for this.

I can't use the main ethernet output since it must communicate to the work network and I can't use the ethernet-hub, since I don't have the access to to that IP range (that is done on purpose and can't be changed)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,446 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rsmrostov

I would just use a second Ethernet adapter in your computer.  I've done this with several test systems and it works very well.  You can then configure that second Ethernet port to use whatever settings you want.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,438 Views)

thanks, just came to that same conclusion, asking myself why do i need to have a usb to serial...it was just what I had handy, ordered a usb to ethernet on amazon just now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,432 Views)

If you have a slot available, I would go with a PCI or PCIe adapter.  They are about the same price and will have a little more bandwidth to them (PCI is faster than USB).  Plus I don't trust USB for instrumentation.  I've had too many issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,430 Views)

yes, I had very bad issues with USB and LV before...those isntrumentation drivers are a nightmare...unfortunately everybody here runs on laptops...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,426 Views)

but if there's a specific usb-to-ethernet you can recommend and had good luck with it before, I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,424 Views)