LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb port communication

dear sir,

i am having USB to rs232 conversion cable. Now i want to communicate via usb port. What will be settings in my industrial automation opc server file in dsc module.

please suggest me proper answer

falgandha
Message 1 of 4
(5,410 Views)
Usually these adapters are controlled through a driver that maps the USB device to a serial port (COMn under Windows, where n is a port number). The setting for COMn can be checked (and changed) with the driver properties. Once the driver is installed, you operate like with any other serial port, at least in the configuration step.
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 2 of 4
(5,385 Views)
When you plug the USB/RS232 device into a USP port, Windows connects to it and assigns it a COM port number. You can go to the Device Manager and by looking under the "Ports" section you can see what port number it was assigned. A couple things to note:

First, the numbers will not simply a continuation of the port numbering that is already in the computer. By this I mean that if you have ports 1 and 2 in the PC, the one you add might appear as port 7 or 9 - I'm not sure why the gaps in numbering exist.

Second, depending upon the drivers that come with the USB/RS232 device, moving a given device to a different USB port may result in a different COM port number being assigned to it. LIkewise plugging a different USB/RS232 device into the same USB port may result in a different COM port number being assigned to it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 3 of 4
(5,370 Views)
It is always recommended to use USB to RS232 converter which does not require a seperate driver to be installed.
There are some converters for which the driver is installed by the system OS itself.
This will help you much without any confusion further. Otherwise if a problem occurs you wont be able to diagonise, where the actual problem is....
Using LabVIEW 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.2
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,389 Views)