From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating cluster indicators

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have put a bunch of indicators into a clusters. Is there a way to update these indicators without having another cluster of the same type with controls that are associated with the indicators?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,266 Views)

You can use the bundle by name function.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,256 Views)

Why do you think you need a control for that ?

Just write to the indicator terminal your locally saved data.

Use the bundle/bundle by name to change the clusters values.

And a tip, make cluster a type def.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,253 Views)

What's generating the data to populate the indicators?  Probably Ben64's suggestion (bundle by name) is your best bet, but there might be another option depending on the source of the data.

jdeantx

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,247 Views)

Shouldn't this work?

Tnx.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,241 Views)

You have to configure the cluster to use the "Bundle By Name".  This is part of why dkfire probably suggested the type def.  It is definitely an easier option in that sense.  See attached...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,217 Views)

And why are you using a type cast?

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,211 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author QRP

You can just create a local from your indicator cluster and use that as the input prototype. See attached vi

Message 8 of 11
(3,203 Views)

@bill_gilbert wrote:

You can just create a local from your indicator cluster and use that as the input prototype. See attached vi

While I agree it is a solution, it isn't the most scalable one.  If you used this cluster in more than one VI, and you want to change the cluster - both of which are highly likely in a devlopment environment - you'll have to track down all instances of controls, constants and indicators in all the VIs and pray you don't miss one.  Your best bet is to make a typedef so that if you need to change the cluster, all you need to do is update the typedef and all the controls, constants and indicators get updated accordingly.

[edited for coherency]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 11
(3,193 Views)

Thanks bill. I'm just feeding the typecast a 8-byte array that I'm typecasting down to the correct datatypes in the array. The indicators in the cluster will be indicators only, so making the cluster typedefs really will not be required for my application even though it is a good idea for subvi use. The local input prototype into the cluster bundle works great. Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,177 Views)