cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uninstall/Reinstall Labview after disk crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

The question might hve been asked already, but couldn't find a proper answer, except doing risky stuff with windows registery so i m asking my question here, and apologize if an answer has already being given on that forum.

I bought and installed Labview Home Bundle a few months ago. Last week, my secondary hard drive, containing the application, crashed, and i don't have a backup of that partition.Windows is still working on a separate SSD and thus still having traces of the applications installed, among which, information about the previous installation of Labview.

" No problem" did i think,  "I will simply re-dowload the installation package and try to reinstall it,like most other software, that simply replace existing informations or reusing older configuration data. Unfortunately, this didn't work, and i have no trace of labview in Windows Add/Remove Menu ( except a "Logiciels National Instrument  - its the French version I got" - that just brings me an error when i try to use it, saying that Labview might already being uninstalled).

Re-Install just leads me to an error with , as result:

- The intallation process goes OK

- The device Drivers cant be installed (is OK as i dont have any device just now)

- The installation processs says the install went ok but at the end, an "error 2 Failed to perform action Labview License Application" shows up.

- Trying to start Lavview gives a "The installation of this application may be corrupt. Use Ad or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel to attempt to repair this Program"

Is there any "Clean Remover " Tool available from National Instrument. Looks like a Rube Goldberg machine too me...

thanks for any help i could get.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,136 Views)

I've always worked with licensed software, and usually had the DVDs around, but LabVIEW can be a bit tricky to install/reinstall.  When you go to Windows and open Programs and Features, do you see National Instruments in the list?  If so, try to do a Repair, which is a "reinstall over an already-installed-but-not-working" LabVIEW.  This is often the safer way to reinstall.

The Absolute Safest Way to install LabVIEW starts with reformatting the hard drive (or SSD), reinstalling the Operating System and all your other programs, then installing LabVIEW.  Something to avoid if at all possible.  If Repair doesn't work and Install also doesn't work, you can try removing all traces of LabVIEW from your disk(s) and from the Registry, but this may take some time, be quite tedious, and may lead you to having to reformat anyway.  I've done it all three ways (unfortunately), and the Repair option, when it works, is definitely the easiest.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 6
(4,133 Views)

Thanks for the answer.

No I dont see it in the list, i just see have a " Logiciels National Instruments" that could be translated "National Insruments software" and that wont uninstall anything cause it thinks its already unsintalled.

I dont want to reformat the full windows drive neither, which i would find quite abusive just to be able to use Labview. In last resort, I would be willing to modify /remove register keys in Windows if i can't do it another way, but usually avoid playing around with registry if i can as im not fond playing poker with my computer.

Intrication between National Instruments and Windows can be quite tricky though ( I use Labview at my work too and can say from experience that the yearly update doesn't run that smoothly evertime neither) 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,120 Views)

I have dealt with similar issues when re-installing, or repairing LabVIEW, and I found that the best way to remove NI software prior to a re-install is NOT to use the Windows add/remove programs utilities, but to use the NIUninstaller. If you've managed to do at least a partial install of LabVIEW, you probably have the NIUninstaller installed. On my system, it is at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\NIUninstaller. Run the uninst.exe executable in there and it will remove items not removed by Windows. Then try a fresh install.

Good luck.

Dan

Message 4 of 6
(4,097 Views)

@DanRen_IQA wrote:

I have dealt with similar issues when re-installing, or repairing LabVIEW, and I found that the best way to remove NI software prior to a re-install is NOT to use the Windows add/remove programs utilities, but to use the NIUninstaller. If you've managed to do at least a partial install of LabVIEW, you probably have the NIUninstaller installed. On my system, it is at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\NIUninstaller. Run the uninst.exe executable in there and it will remove items not removed by Windows. Then try a fresh install.

Thanks, Dan -- I learned something new (which is not that unusual here on the Forum ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,084 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ericgo67

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have dealt with similar issues when re-installing, or repairing LabVIEW, and I found that the best way to remove NI software prior to a re-install is NOT to use the Windows add/remove programs utilities, but to use the NIUninstaller. If you've managed to do at least a partial install of LabVIEW, you probably have the NIUninstaller installed. On my system, it is at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\NIUninstaller. Run the uninst.exe executable in there and it will remove items not removed by Windows. Then try a fresh install.

Good luck.

Dan

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, Thanks for the answer. I found something similar on a Q&A from National instruments and already tried to find tha "InstallValidator.exe" after i re-installed Labview, unfortunately , the NIuninstall Folder/ and files were not installed with the National Instruments on my hard drive, so unfortunately , that solution doesn't work. I copied the NIUninstaller folder (AND ONLY THAT ONE) that i found in the shared folder of the Labview at work, and give it a try. Not sure if its against National Instruments policy and license, and I apologize if it is ,but having an application that i bought and cannot install / reinstall is against my own policy. If the reinstall had be done right, the folder would have been installed with the home Bundle. I let you know if that does any good.

EDIT:

Actually that worked. The "InstallValidator.exe" did do nothing aprt from telling me that the registrey entry was OK, even if it wasn't.

But the "uninst.exe" did the job and fixed the installation through the Repair Menu that i couldn't acces before.

Thanks again for your help guys.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,016 Views)