LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to establish serial connection between 2 serial ports of same laptop

its a prolific usb to serial,

i have tried connecting two pc's installed with labview and i have also tried connecting two ports of single laptop , but...:(

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(977 Views)

Are you getting any errors?  If you are actively trying to use multiple programs to communicate with your port, you need to make sure the programs close the port before another can access it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(957 Views)

Start with hyperterminal.  Generate 2 hyperterminal sessions, one associated with each com port.  What you type in one should show up in the other, and vice versa.  That should confirm your cable is okay.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(956 Views)

Can you suggest hyperterminal software foe windows 7?? I have successfully transmited and recieved characters to and from labview to microcontroller with the same cable.So I thik the cable is fine. Or we need something special in the cable to caonnect two com ports of pc?? when i use virtual serial port emulator it works fine

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(938 Views)

Do you know if the microterminal is set up to use a null modem cable or a straight through cable?  If it is setup to use a straight through cable, and you are able to communicate with the microcontroller, then there is no way that same cable will work between two serial ports.

As for a terminal program for Win 7, I think you'll just have to google it to find something that will work for you.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(922 Views)

Hi CHINTAN_11NOV,

1. Are you sure that software is installed properly. Please confirm this, right click on the computer --> manage -->  Device Manager --> Ports then expand this and see the prolific name is coming or not ?

2. If that is installed then make 2 different VIs, one for Tx and other for Rx.

3. Send one byte from Tx and read on Rx PC.

I am sending you both the VIs with timeout as 10 sec. Run it and let me know. Configure the COM port first in both the PCs and make sure that prolific one

First run Rx in one computer after configuring com port then before 10 sec run Tx from other PC after configuring COM port. Let me know the error out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(914 Views)

I have attached two pics for error out for both tx and rx

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(899 Views)

That means your Tx program is writing the data to serial port properly (Hope number of bytes written indcator is showing 5 i.e. written count on VISA write) 

But Rx VI is not receiving data withing 10 sec.

Make sure the configuration of COM port is same in both the PCs.

Make sure about two again and run the program and let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(888 Views)

Use this VI for Tx instead 

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(885 Views)

One more thing for just crosschecking change the Tx & Rx VIs and check the working. But after trying above solution

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(878 Views)