LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

troubleshooting error 54 in the tcp/ip open object

What are the causes of error 54 in the tcp/ip open object other than an actual, honest-to-goodness malformed url? Do I need to open a port in windows firewall for the tcp/ip object to work?

The object returns the error whenever I send it an IP. The input string field outputs, but no connection is opened according to my network analyzer (WireShark).

The only thing I can think of is that the error message seems to want 3-digit strings delimited by periods(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), but the target machine address is 2-digit strings (xx.xx.xx.xx). That's unexpected, to say the least.

Many thanks in advance

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,089 Views)

Could you share your code, or at least a screenshot of the part that's not working?

If you're using a URL instead of an IP address, that would explain the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,083 Views)

Here's the file. I meant to say IP as opposed to URL of cours, unfortunately there's a time limit on edits.

Thanks again

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,074 Views)

Could you save the VI with the default values you're using? For example the IP control on the front panel is blank, which makes it difficult to determine whether you're using a valid input. Also, why does the error wire not run through the TCP Open? What is the full text of the error that you see?

EDIT: Also, you probably should not be using Immediate mode for the TCP Read, if you're waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,072 Views)

Hi Joseph,

Some things to consider:

Make sure you have a separate VI running which is listening for a connection (TCP Server) before you run this program. The TCP Server can be on your computer (localhost) or another computer on the network.  I would recommend opening up the LabVIEW example code entitled “TCP Communicator – Passive” and “TCP Communicator – Active”.  First, verify that these VI’s can communicate on your local computer then try to communicate between computers. 

Let us know how this works out for you.

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,037 Views)