From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

triple-DES algorithm?

Dear all,

I would like to ask if anyone can help me regarding triple-DES encryption/decryption algorithm on Labview?

I searched within NI Developer zone but I found only DES encryption/decryption algorithm, can I use this DES algorithm to do a triple-DES? or it is totally different?

please advise, have a good day!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,633 Views)

Hi LivingMachine,

When you searched Developer Zone, did you find the "Blowfish Encryption?" From my minimal understanding of a DES algorithm, I would assume that in order to do a Triple-DES you can string three DES in a row and apply each to the blocks of code. I do not know if I am interpreting a Triple DES (Wikipedia) wrong however.

I am continuing research over this to see what I can find. But as for now, I would think that you can use the DES algorithm for your application.

Thanks,

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,593 Views)

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for "Blowfish Encryption" I just try it yesterday but it's not a DES algorithm. What I'm trying to do is I got an RFID reader which required to use DES and 3DES encryption to established secure connection between PC and reader. They give an example in the manual illustrate data before and after encrypt so I knew that Blowfish is not the same as DES. I still wonder about why the author, from your link, said that Blowfish can be used as a drop-in replacement for DES or IDEA. 

Thank you,

Have a good day

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,566 Views)

Hey LivingMachine,

I have been looking around and I do not find anything that pertains directly to a Triple DES. If you have a DES algorithm, my advice would be to try implement it 3 times for the triple DES.

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,541 Views)

Ricky V,

I have searched around a bit on the forum and also on the web, but I can't find anything specific. Does LabVIEW have a drop in VI that is compatible with or equivalent  to the  DES encryption/decryption standard?

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,535 Views)

Hey Alan,

From what I have gathered, we do not have a drop in VI that is equivalent to the DES encryption/decryption standard. The Blowfish Algorithm I mentioned earlier is "said" to be equivalent, but it does not seem to be. If you have been searching the same as me, I feel its safe to assume you saw the Advanced Encryption Standard and Tiny Encryption Standard.

I do not think those work for you though, correct?

Perhaps there is a way to make an equivalent algorithm, but we do not have a drop in VI.

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,530 Views)

Thanks, It looks likes AES is the better choice any way, see attached.

Alan.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,519 Views)

Can you assist in trying to get the .NET TripleDESCryptoServiceProvider to work in G?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,867 Views)

Hi dude,

please don't create double posts - and stick with your own thread!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,862 Views)

Yeah, sorry I did that to gain exposure from the participants in this thread. There does not appear to be a lot of posts about TripleDES.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,852 Views)