From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tools

i am starting an effort to understand a huge code base (thousands of vi's) and was wondering if there are any suggestions on tools that might help me shorten the learning curve......should i just use the labview environment tools?  does NI offer other tools?  are there any third party tools?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,245 Views)

Sorry, your question is not quite clear to me.

Are you trying to learn LabVIEW or do you already know LabVIEW and are trying to understand existing code?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,244 Views)

am trying to understand existing code........

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,241 Views)

@mshockey17 wrote:

am trying to understand existing code........

OUCH,

"Write your code like the next developer that needs to maintain it is a homicidal maniac that knows where you live"- LabVIEW Proverb

"I write code knowing the next developer will either punch me in the nose or buy me a beer if I meet him.  Beer is not my favorite beverage but given that choice....."--- JJBSmiley Wink

Without good documentation in the code your chances are limited.  One thing that can help is to study the "Design pattern Templates" that ship with LabVIEW and understand where they would have helped the code be maintainable.  Start buy replacing any stacked sequences with true state machines.  Often, this helps break the code into manageable components.  Next, try to define where any parts of the code deal with different resources external to LabVIEW (Files, DAQmx Tasks, Test Equipment....)  Try to encaplulate the actions on those in a QMH.  By that time you should be able to see a Project Template that resembles what the existing code wanted to get done.

Sorry, no automated tools just a lot of hard work and learning.

"You can't fix stupid"-- Larry the Cable Guy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 5
(2,196 Views)

Three Things:

Read Help Context

Watch Webcasts

Pratice Pratice Pratice Pratice and Pratice

Learn LabVIEW it's like take one trip to the moon... there's no  Shortcuts.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,188 Views)