LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.tmp file is created by NI Report generation toolkit for logging data to MS Excel

Hi,

I am getting ".tmp" file while logging data to MS Excel by NI Report generation toolkit. Instead of assigned file name, toolkit is generating a junk value with .tmp extension, but I can able to open this .tmp file with MS Excel.

Can anyone help to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Thirumala

Message 1 of 6
(3,141 Views)

Hi Thirumala,

You may experience issues when you try to save a Microsoft Excel file if one or more of the following conditions are true:

1. You save an Excel file to a network drive where you have restricted permissions.
2. You save an Excel file to a location that does not have sufficient drive space.
3. The connection to the Excel file has been lost.
4. There is a conflict with an antivirus software program.
5. You save an Excel file that is shared.
6. The 218-character path limitation has been exceeded when you save an Excel file.
7. The Transition Formula Evaluation feature is turned on in Excel.
8. The file was created from a template that contains embedded objects.

Hope this will help to solve your problem.

Thanks,

Sanad MM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,130 Views)

I ran into the same issue. In my case i'm pretty sure it has to do with generating the new file in an NFS server file from windows. is there any way around this so i can create and access the excel file?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,906 Views)
Have you tried creating/saving the file locally first and then using the Copy/Move File VI to move it to the correct location?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,904 Views)

I solved the problem.

I had mapped a drive on the computer to the network location.

When the path included the mapped drive, (e.g. "Z:\") it created a "*.tmp" file instead of the requested one (in my case "*.xls").

When the path included the direct path to the file starting with "\\" it created it correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,892 Views)

Really old thread but I have encountered this issue recently and, for me, this was being caused by a file with that filename already being present, i.e. it was not able to ovewrite the existing file.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,363 Views)