From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timed loops on multiple cores

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have an application that uses 8 timed loops in 8 differents sub-vis, but called by the same main vi. 
This application runs on a desktop PC Real Time with 8 cores. 

My first question is: Does LabVIEW will manage the priorities of my 8 timed loops even if they are located in 8 differents sub-vis? 

My second question is: Does LabVIEW manages only the priorities of timed loops that run on a single core? In my case, each timed loop is manually assigned to a different core. In this case, is it appropriate to set different priorities? 

Thank you in advance. 

Have a nice day

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,756 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mbaudot

Q1: Yes, LabVIEW will manage the priority of every Timed Loop that is running, even if they are all in separate VI's.

Q2: If each Timed Loop is assigned to its own core, then it will have all the resources of that core available to it. You will not have to assign priorities if every Timed Loop has its own core. The only time a Timed Loop may interupt another Timed Loop is if they're assigned to the same core, or one is not assigned to a core at all. In the later case, that Timed Loop may interupt any of the other Timed Loops that are lower priority. But it sounds like in your application, assigning priorities wouldn't be necessary since there's one Timed Loop assigned to a core.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(2,718 Views)