LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time measurement between TCP_write and TCP_read

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning time measurement posibilities in LabVIEW. I have an application which sends data over TCP (TCP_write) to a microcontroller. The microcontroller does its work and sends data back to my client PC, on which I receive the data by using TCP_read. For test and presentation purposes I would like to measure the time between the moment where I start to transmit data over TCP and the moment when data is received back at TCP_read. This should show the impact of a very busy TCP/IP net on the transmission rate, quality of data and so on...!
Is there a (maybe simple) possibility to measure the time? Maybe I could make a time stamp at the beginning of the transmission and a second time stamp at the beginning of receive data. And the difference is the time which is left. Am I right or are there difficultie which I didn't see yet?

Please answer everything. I'm thankful for every post to this question, because I have really no idea how to realize this...! :-(((

Thanks,

Dennis Goetz
University of Applied Sciences, Heilbronn, Germany
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,062 Views)
Dennis,

You have the right plan in mind. Attached is an image of how you might go about it using sequence structures to ensure that the stamps are occurring at the appropriate times.

Not shown here is the idea that you might want to create a cluster of the absolute time/elapsed time data and store numerous such clusters in an array and save to file if you want to come back at a later point in time and compare your latencies with network traffic logs.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,052 Views)