LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time delay while writing data in serial communication

Hello sir,
             Shubhlaxmi here,i am getting time delay in serial communication.My application has 100 inputs and 600 outputs.All these configure to 5 ports.When i get input from hardware it goes to excel sheet , make changes there and i get some data from excel sheet to write to my hardware  using RS232 communication.these all process takes 5 -8 seconds,i want to execute these process within 1 second so could u plz tell me how to reduce time delay?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,142 Views)
Hi Shubhlaxmi,
what do you make in Excel? Is it possible for you to make all calculations in your program and only write data to file if you have time? I think without the communication to excel it is much faster.

Hope it helps.
Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 05-24-2008 12:52 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,140 Views)
Hello Mike,
                    No right now it is not possible without excel?application is full developed and only problem is time delay?how could u tell that excel makes slow communication?i have dissussed this problem with Ni Banglore but still they are not able to give me solution.
          My excel get input in one column and there is some logic that make changes in second column,second column is my output that shows to hardware
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,137 Views)
Hi Shubhlaxmi,
what does it mean "application is full developed"? Is there no possibility to change something? Why can´t you insert the calculations from excel into your program, this would be much faster?

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,134 Views)
hi  subhalaxmi.
                             sorry , i am not getting ur application properly. i think that u want to use parallel programming . use queue options. otherwise post the vi , which u want to make it correct . u can directly send to my mail also . indrajitbarve@gmail.com. i will try to slove ur problem. give some detail about ur application as flow chart .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indrajit

| indrajitbarve@gmail.com | indar_indar2005@yahoo.co.in .
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,119 Views)
Hi Shubhalaxmi,

We need some more information about your problem itself. How often are you writing to the excel spreadsheet? How much of data is it each time? Are you opening and closing the spreadsheet each time? All of these can slow your application down.
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,067 Views)
Hello Karunya,
                    I am sending attachment.Main file  contains excell logic means how i am read and write data from excell.please understand that logic and tell me where is m going wrong?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,043 Views)
Hi Shubhalaxmi,
i recommend to clean up your code. Read all data from the excel sheet with one command and work in labview with your resulted array. Don´t use so many local variables, i´m sure you don´t need them all.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,037 Views)
hello Mike,
                     How could this possible to read data from excel with one command?I am using lots of global  variable and m sure it neccessary.bcoz m using that variable in my Rs232 communication file to write data to port.

Message Edited by shubhlaxmi22 on 05-30-2008 03:49 AM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,029 Views)
Hi Shubhalaxmi,

Mike is right about the local variables. Here are some examples that demonstrate how to get data from excel:

Get Excel Data from Specified Field
How Can I Read Excel Data into LabVIEW?
Read from Excel
Reading a Single Cell Vallue from an Excel Sheet Using ActiveX in LabVIEW

Good Luck!

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,007 Views)