From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this installation requires windows 7 or later

I built my program into an executable system with an installer.  My computer is currently running Windows 7 and is a 64-bit system and I'm using Labview 2014, v14 (32 bit).

I have successfully installed my executable program using the installer on 13 computers.  When I went to install the program on another computer, I get an error saying "This installation requires Windows 7 or later."  However, the computer I am installing it on is running Windows 7, 32 bit system.  The system configuration of this computer matches the configurations of the other computers I successfully installed the program on.  Any thoughts on why this error is being generated?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,849 Views)

I would wager (a dime) that the problem is "develop on 64-bit Windows, try to install on 32-bit Windows".  Windows 64-bit is capable of running programs developed for 32-bit Windows (such as LabVIEW, itself), but the reverse is not true.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,797 Views)

You should be able to build installers that work on 32bit systems.

Why does it require windows 7 or higher? Did you have a nondefault selection on the advanced section of the installer builder?

Do you include any 64bit products under "additional installers"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,780 Views)

If he is using 32-bit LabVIEW, as he states, why are we so focused on 64-bit installers? 

Something is different on that machine.  Is the only difference the 32-bit OS? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,743 Views)

Does the machine in question have Windows 7 SP1 installed?  Sometimes a mismatch of MSI and installer will do stuff like this to you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,730 Views)

The machine having the issue has Service Pack 1 installed, as does my computer. 

The only additional installer I have for my program is NI LabVIEW Run-Time Enginer 2014.

I originally thought I might have an issue installing on a 32 bit system because my system is 64 bit. However, I successfully installed the same executable on a number of other 32 bit systems. 

When we updated to Windows 7 a few years ago, there were some changes within Windows and how and where files were being saved (My Documents, Users, C: drive etc).  I adapted our code and where files were saved to match the new Windows 7 file layouts, so I had specified in my installers from that build forward that Windows 7 or higher was required.  At this point it is probably no longer necessary as I can't see using an instrument with anything older than Windows 7 on it. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,667 Views)

i had the same problem on installing in windows xp,

the labview is 32bit on a machine win7sp1 64bit, here i built my installer.

when i try to install on a machine winXP the message "This installation requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later.

the picture is how i set the builder

any have a solution for this issue?

Nicola
LabVIEW DeveloperByteLABS.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,342 Views)

I'm solved,

by replacing the VersionNTMin in the file Setup.ini generated by my builder, with this

[OS]
VersionNTMin=5,1,2600,3,0
VersionNTMax=

it's strange thath the package builder create a 6,7,xxx also if i selected the "windows XP sp3 or later"

Nicola
LabVIEW DeveloperByteLABS.
Message 8 of 11
(8,338 Views)

These instructions allowed the installer to run.  I built an installer with LabVIEW 2015 to install on Windows XP.  However, during installation several errors occurred, and after installation Measurement and Automation Explorer (NI MAX) fails to launch.  I'm going to try again without NI-GPIB and NI-Serial installaed, but changing these settings may  warrant some caution.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,114 Views)

Hello, 

I did the same like you.

The installation can run, but there is a lot of errors. Finally, the installation has no succes.

Lily

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,979 Views)