From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system exec.vi calls in windows 7 taking longer than XP?

Lets see if I can explain this.

We have a fairly complicated LV 10 project with a small part that utilizes System Exec.vi to call batch command files that erases Xilinx FPGAs.  In XP the erases take ~30 seconds each [as expected].  When we run in Windows 7, it takes considerably longer [~1.5 minutes each].  If I create a small VI that only does the erase functionality by itself, it works as it did in XP [~30 seconds].  The only thing I notice is that the impact.exe has a CPU % of 0 for awhile on the Task Mgr when run as part of the larger LV 10 project.  In the smaller VI, the CPU % does not do this.

Sample Xilinx batch file contents:

setLog -file erase.log

setMode -bs

setCable -p auto

setCableSpeed -speed 3000000

identify

erase -p 1

blankCheck -p 1

quit

System Exec.vi settings:

Wait Until Completion => true

Run Minimized => true

Command Line: cmd /c C:\Xilinx\13.4\LabTools\LabTools\bin\nt64\impact -batch C:\Labview\FPGA\temp.cmd

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,050 Views)

The nt64 in the file path to the executable looks suspiciosly like a 64 Bit executable. Is your LabVIEW version 32 bit or 64 bit? Windows 7 is 64 bit? It could be some thread synchronization issue when starting the 64 bit process from the 32 Bit LabVIEW environment under Window 7. I really doubt you are using Windows XP in 64 bit mode at all, and the installed Xilinx tools therefore likely are 32 bit only.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 3
(2,019 Views)

The LV tool is 32-bit.  The Impact tool we are trying to use is 64-bit on the Windows 7 machine.  When we run on an XP machine, we use the 32-bit version of Impact.  A 32-bit version of Impact also exists on the Win7 machine, but it doesn't seem to have the correct cable drivers installed.  I am attempting to fix the driver issue and see if using Impact 32-bit makes the problem go away.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,009 Views)