LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system exception code 0xc0000005 after upgrading to LabVIEW 8.2

After upgrading to LabVIEW 8.2 from LabVIEW 8.0 I am continously getting a system reboot on my PXI (8187) when attempting to run my real time loops which worked fine with LabVIEW 8.0.  The loops seem to start, and within less than a 30 seconds the system reboots.  Upon reboot a message is displayed reboot due to system error.  After running and getting this error again the system reboots into safe mode.  Looking at the nirtlog file on the PXI, there is system crash log which list the exception code as 0xC0000005 and a listing of loaded dlls.

Does anyone have any idea what may be leading to this?

Thanks,
Kevin 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,964 Views)

Hi Kevin,

This system exception code can be caused by many different things.  Without an error log, it is hard to say what exactly caused this.  A couple of things you can do are:

1. Choose the Investigate Now option when you get the error next time.  This sends the error log file to National Instruments’ Technical Support.  We can then evaluate the error log file, pass it on to R&D, and maybe provide you with some input as to what caused the error.
  2. You can also try to reformat your PXI controller, re-install the software, and try to run your program again.  Though I am not sure what is causing the error, it is always nice to start from a fresh installation on your controller if you are getting errors that did not appear before.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Best of luck on your application, and have a great day!!

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,940 Views)
Hi Ching, Thanks for the response.

A couple things. 

1)The option "Investigate Now" is not an option, the PXI simply reboots.  Is there any additional error log that I can look at that may have been saved before the system crash?
2) I tried this when I first started having this problem
3) I have tracked down the problem to be occuring within in one my timed loops.  I basically have 3 timed loops running on the real time target.  The crash seems to occur when I attempt to stop the lower priority loop.  I have replaced the lower priority timed loop with a while loop and a timed wait and this seems to have resolved the issue.  Are there any know issues with using a timed loop???  Again, this was working without issue in LabVIEW version 8.

Thanks again for the response,
Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,929 Views)

Hi Kevin,

It does not appear that anyone else has had such an issue with timed loops in LabVIEW 8.2, so I'd like to do a bit more troubleshooting with you if possible.

Does this occur with even a simple example that has two timed loops of different priority?  If you attempt to stop the timed loop with the lowest priority, will the PXI reboot?  What hardware are you using?  Did anything else change in the program other than the LabVIEW version when you began noticing this behavior?  Do you have LabVIEW Real-Time installed on this controller, or is it just LabVIEW with a Windows operating system?

Thanks for you time and assistance.  It is through feedback such as this that we can make LabVIEW an even better product.

Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,915 Views)

Ching,

I  have disabled, using the diagram disable structure, most of the functionality within my existing loops, thus leaving me with basically loops which do nothing and the reboot still occurs.  I am using a 8187 with Real-Time installed and nothing changed with our program other than upgrading to 8.2 and mass compiling our software. 

Searching the NI website I found the following link, http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B32AC1D8A29D64C88625718700790BA9, which mentions an issue with timed loops becoming corrupt.  I tried what was mentioned in the solution, replacing my timed loop with a while loop and then changing it back.  At first it seemed that this had fixed my problem, I was able to run without the system rebooting, until I realized that in changing the while loops back to timed loops, I forgot to adjust the priorities.  Once I adjusted the priorities, the reboot once again occured.  So it seems that my loops will run OK if the priorities are the same.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,903 Views)

The following is a simple example that produces the exception and reboots the PXI.  This VI was originally created on a machine with LabVIEW version 8.0 and run on a PXI-8187 w/ RealTime version 8 and it ran without issue.  I then took the VI to a machine running LabVIEW 8.2, I opened the VI, which compiled it to version 8.2, and ran it on another PXI-8187 w/ RealTime version 8.2 and I got a system exception and the PXI rebooted.  If I run the two loops at the same priority level, it seems to run without issue.  Also if I run with the loops at different priority levels and place a check in the Discard Missed Periods and in the Maintain Original Phase of the lower priority loop, it seems to run fine as well.  However if I uncheck either the Discard Missed Periods or the Maintain Original Phase (as is set in the attached VI) the exception will occur.  Any thoughts on what is going on, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,885 Views)
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the VI.  It appears to be a bug, I will be filing a Corrective Action Request (CAR) with R&D.  Please stay tuned for the CAR ID.
Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,867 Views)
Hello Kevin,

This was reported to R&D (# 45QETKX6) for further investigation.  Thanks for the feedback!!
Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,849 Views)
Ching,

What is the process of resolving this issue.  Will there be a fix/patch issued?  Will there be a description of what exactly the issue is, which will give some insight on how to avoid the issue?

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,842 Views)
Hi Kevin,

R&D will update this post as progress is made regarding this Corrective Action Request.
Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,830 Views)