From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

string reference adding to indicator

Solved!
Go to solution

How do i prevent the "Serial Data" indicator from being emptied/cleared every time i use it?

( want to see the "Serial Data" in real time)

/J

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,226 Views)

Hi std,

How do i prevent the "Serial Data" indicator from being emptied/cleared every time i use it?

From your image: the string indicator never gets cleared - atleast not in this image…

(Why do you use a reference and property nodes when the terminal is still available?)

To answer your question: when you don't want to clear/empty the indicator you should not write an empty string into it…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,202 Views)

Hi GerdW

If you run the attached VI you will see that that the "Serial Data1" is erased when "Serial Data2" is written.

The picture is an example code. The 2 Sequences are instead of my Serial communication SubVI that writes and reads data from the serial port and the reference is there to be able to see the serial communication in "realtime".

So i want to add all serial data to the indicator "Serial Data" (want it to work like a terminal app would). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,187 Views)

Hi std,

unfortunately I cannot open your LV2015 VI right now, I'm stuck at LV2014…

you will see that that the "Serial Data1" is erased when "Serial Data2" is written.

But I guess it's the same as is shown in the image above: "serial data1" is not "erased", it's overwritten!

i want to add all serial data to the indicator "Serial Data" (want it to work like a terminal app would).

So you want to concatenate all string data into a huge string?

Then you should use the ConcatenateString function and a shift register as you should have learned in the LabVIEW beginner courses offered for free by NI…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 6
(3,181 Views)

Sorry, Yes it is overwritten.

You are right a Concatenate string function and a shift register fixed it(with an Event Structure in the mix).

I probably forgotten or, have dozed off during the course...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,143 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author std

Use the "Append String" method.

To make it even better, use the attached XControl.ls2.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 6 of 6
(3,127 Views)