From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strain

Hello

Im freshly learning labview on my own so bear with me. I built a split hopkinson bar for high impact strain testing at my school. that was the easy part of course. I have the cdaq9133 and have a ni9223 in the mail. My gauges are run through a MicrocMeasurment 2310b singnal conditioner. For these high impacts I need fast sample readings. There is even a tektronix tds 640a oscilloscope at my disposal but it cant save data. 

Anyways.. I have messed around with Ni Max and strain. When fallowing the train tutorials  it has a "hardware tab" in the area where you imput the strain gauge info. It seems its because of the modules im using and not the 9237. Is this important?

How does the NI max translate over to labview and be able to record and save meaningful measurments? Ive seen videos where they drop a daq onto labview but not sure how that relates my actual hard ware.

As I encounter a learning curve with lab view are they any recomended templates?

My apperatus transmits a strain pulse. On one bar there will be both a positive and negative strain value. The addition of the two values yeilds the stress transmitted down the line. Is there a recommended way of automated this?

I appreciate any pointers. This is alot and at times vague. Its just helpful to not learn in a vaccume and on online videos.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,753 Views)

Hi wm.Jesse.miller

I would recommend starting with an example program we have. In LabVIEW, go to Help >> Find Examples and then search for Strain – Continuous Input.vi. This VI is a great place to start when reading strain.

NI MAX is a great place to run tests on hardware to make sure everything is working correctly and troubleshoot if something seems off. LabVIEW is where you would fine tune your data acquisition task and save data.

With the hardware you have coming, you’ll need to provide an external excitation voltage and use a Full Bridge configuration. We have other modules that are designed for strain measurements (i.e. 9235, 9236, 9237 for example), but you can still use the NI 9223 for any analog input, to include a strain measurement.  You may run into resolution problems with the NI 9223 since its voltage range can’t be set smaller than +/- 10V, giving a resolution of about 0.3mV.

As far as your comment about the “hardware tab,” I’m not too sure what this is referring to. Was this a tab in a LabVIEW program?

Hopefully this information helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,690 Views)