LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

start up vi on labview rt not responding

Hello Bob,

1. I want to do clean installation of Labview and installation of Software on PXI as you suggested. For Labview installation, I have 2013 dvds. For software installation on PXI, Do i need to have some thing(software dvds) for PXI ?? or through MAX we need to do this??
  2. I have downloaded subversion and tortoise svn and created repository. What all files (specfically if some files are there to be kept, please let me know) do I need to put into it??(I have put all the vi's that I have developed and 'labview project' provided to me with interface for Parallel manipulator).
  3. Once I have created repository, is this the procedure to follow:  uninstall labview 2009 , Reinstall 2013 LV, and then format PXI and install software through MAX. If not please suggest me on how to proceed?
  4. How to make sure that I have the 'base file' to be deployed onto the PXI controller (where to find this in my PC)? Is there anything else I need to take care of before uninstalling Labview? 

Thanks and Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(882 Views)

@linus77 wrote:

Hello Bob,

1. I want to do clean installation of Labview and installation of Software on PXI as you suggested. For Labview installation, I have 2013 dvds. For software installation on PXI, Do i need to have some thing(software dvds) for PXI ?? or through MAX we need to do this??
  2. I have downloaded subversion and tortoise svn and created repository. What all files (specfically if some files are there to be kept, please let me know) do I need to put into it??(I have put all the vi's that I have developed and 'labview project' provided to me with interface for Parallel manipulator).
  3. Once I have created repository, is this the procedure to follow:  uninstall labview 2009 , Reinstall 2013 LV, and then format PXI and install software through MAX. If not please suggest me on how to proceed?
  4. How to make sure that I have the 'base file' to be deployed onto the PXI controller (where to find this in my PC)? Is there anything else I need to take care of before uninstalling Labview? 

Excellent Questions, and here are (some) answers:

My 2013 DVD set includes the following:  LabVIEW Core, which includes LabVIEW (of course), the Report Generation Toolkit, Signal Express, Vision, DAQmx, and other things; Control and Embedded Systems, which includes LabVIEW RealTime, Signal Processing and Communications (which has nothing I use), Extended Development Suite (Diadem and TestStand, which I don't use), and the Device Drivers Disk, which also has DAQmx and all the Device Drivers.  Actually, the four DVDs are really labelled DVD1, 2, 3, and 4, and I'm not entirely sure that the names that I used in describing their contents really "map" completely with the DVD contents (it's been evolving over the years -- in 2015, we got a single USB Key with everything on it -- it "looked like" a 40GB DVD Image).  I'm also not sure where MAX is (I suspect on the Device Drivers disk), but know it will show up when everything is installed.  Just out of curiousity, what does it say on your DVD?  Does it say something like "Professional Development System"?  Do you have, say, 4 "LabVIEW" DVDs and a separate NI Devices and Drivers (I think that's the name) DVD?  If so, you should have all you need.  Make sure everything says "Fall 2013" or "August 2013" on it.

I'm a little concerned by what you mean when you say you "Created the SVN Repository".  You can create a "local" SVN Repository, but you do not want to do that.  You want to find someone (ask your University IT people) who is running a Subversion server and establish an account with them.  Because your "Versions" are so precious, you absolutely want someone else to be responsible for maintaining their integrity, including doing continuous backups, maintaining the Servers (Subversion is continually being improved and bug-fixed) and protecting your data.  

I use two Subversion Servers.  Subversion Servers generally "look like" a Web address (i.e. they have a URL, which makes them accessible wherever there is Internet Access).  The Site Administrator creates an Account for you on the Server.  The process of getting started in using Subversion begins with gaining access to the Server (using your User Name and Password) and creating your (first) Repository.  Subversion has a "preferred" structure for a Repository, and there are some "recommended" steps to get started.  I'll send you a Private Message with some of the details and suggestions.

One (minor) drawback to our University Server is ... it is a University Server, hence not appropriate for collaborating with people in other Institutions.  I have a collaboration with a colleague in another city, so I went on the Web and found a relatively-inexpensive Hosting Service with Subversion (and other) Servers, which I use for this other collaboration.  I have some documentation that I can send you via PM (Private Message) that will discuss "Getting Your Project On Subversion".

Once your code is "safely" under Version Control (and I worry that it really is not, yet), then these are the steps I suggest (but maybe check with me at each step):

1. In Control Panel, uninstall all NI Software (it is generally all under National Instruments).
  2. Look in Control Panel's Programs and Features for other NI-related software (like JKI's VIPM) and uninstall that, as well.
  3. I recommend deleting, or renaming with a leading "Obsolete" name, the NI-relevant Files that still remain.  Look in Program Files, Program Files (x86), C: (there is probably a Downloads folder).  Some might have names like "IVI" or "OPC" -- these are probably NI-related (but inspect before deleting).  You want the cleanest-possible system, short of doing a Registry cleanup (I've done such, myself -- it isn't pretty, it isn't easy, but it is dangerous, so don't do it ...).
  4. Install just LabVIEW (no Toolkits, no Modules, no Real-Time, no Device Drivers).  Reboot.
  5. Install the Modules and Toolkits (no Device Drivers, yet), including RealTime.  Reboot.
  6. Finally, install just the Device Drivers you'll need (plus DAQmx, of course).  Since you are running a LabVIEW RT system, be sure to include DAQmx and the RealTime options.  You may not need much else, unless you are using (a) Cameras (need Vision and IMAQdx), (b) NI Hardware (need the NI Drivers), (c) RIO or FPGA modules.  Oh, yes, be sure to include PXI support.  Reboot.
  7. Open LabVIEW for the first time.  You may need to configure your FireWall to let LabVIEW through it -- it is OK.  You should also allow LabVIEW Updates to run, and apply the LabVIEW 2013 Updates that it offers (I would not recommend accepting an upgrade to a newer LabVIEW Version, however, and if you are in doubt, ask).
  8. In LabVIEW, go to Tools, Options, and configure LabVIEW to your liking.  My preferences include the Block Diagram setting to not display Front Panel Terminal as Icons (I think that's a box that I uncheck).  On the VI Server Page, make sure TCP/IP is checked (or you won't be able to use VIPM, nor connect with your PXI).
  9. I recommend installing VIPM to gain access to the LabVIEW Tools Network.  There are a bewildering set of tools (some free, some $$$) out there.  If your existing code uses any of them, now is a good time to install them.

Now you are ready to tackle the PXI, potentially reformatting it and installing LabVIEW RT onto it.  We'll cover that separately -- it can be pretty involved.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- check your Private Messages

Message 12 of 14
(869 Views)

Hello Bob,

1. Yes, I have 4 dvds (able to manage LV 2014) which includes a seperate Ni device drivers (please see the attachment).
  2. I followed the video at the below link to create Repository  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGIo9_x-YSo. I think its local repository as you mentioned.  Is it not sufficient?  If not, let me know how to do it.  If I have to go through University people as you suggested, it will take lot of time and its little complicated also. Please suggest me if there is an alternative.
  3. Can't I just copy everything (all labview files) into a USB and store it in some other PC (backup) for time being and proceed further?? 
  4. All the labview code is present in a pc which is running Windows XP, so I had to install very old versions of  tortoise svn(1.8.12) and VisualSVN-Server (2.7.14) (latest versions doesn't Windows XP), Is it the correct time to change to a new PC? (or should I first proceed with the present installation in old PC)

Thanks and Regards

Sunil

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(850 Views)

@linus77 wrote:

Hello Bob,

1. Yes, I have 4 dvds (able to manage LV 2014) which includes a seperate Ni device drivers (please see the attachment).  Yes, I have exactly the same 4 DVDs for LabVIEW 2014.  Indeed, while I had LabVIEW 2013 installed, I never used it for anything, but when LabVIEW 2014 came out, I started "migrating" my LabVIEW 2012 code to LabVIEW 2014.
  2. I followed the video at the below link to create Repository  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGIo9_x-YSo. I think its local repository as you mentioned.  Is it not sufficient?  If not, let me know how to do it.  If I have to go through University people as you suggested, it will take lot of time and its little complicated also. Please suggest me if there is an alternative.  The concept of a Version Control System (to my mind) requires an "external" server not under your direct control, but running according to its own "rules" and securely backed up, for the purpose.  I'll send you more information off-line.
  3. Can't I just copy everything (all labview files) into a USB and store it in some other PC (backup) for time being and proceed further??  Yes, you don't need to use Version Control, but for a significant migration and for continual protection for serious LabVIEW development, it is one of the more important "Best Practices".  I'll try to get you more information about this. 
  4. All the labview code is present in a pc which is running Windows XP, so I had to install very old versions of  tortoise svn(1.8.12) and VisualSVN-Server (2.7.14) (latest versions doesn't Windows XP), Is it the correct time to change to a new PC? (or should I first proceed with the present installation in old PC).  You are backing up code.  I assume you are going to be migrating to a Windows 7 or Windows 10 PC, on which you will install LabVIEW 2014.  I'll discuss with you off-line the creation of your SVN repository.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(835 Views)