LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spdif capture - anyone with advice/recent experience with developing with NI kit

Hi all,

This is my first post on a LabVIEW forum, I have followed the other posts on SPDIF capture, however they link to HW that is now listed on the product pages as 'mature, and not recommended for new designs' or links to versions of FPGA cards which are now superceeded. So wondered what the most upto date opinions may be...

My main requirement is that I can capture SPDIF audio output from an audio device that we are developing so that we can verify that all bits header infor and control codes have been transmitted correctly by our audio device. This does not need to be underaken in real time, and can be logged for parsing/analysis later.

Looking through the discussion forum and the NI product pages the simplest solution would be the AudioMASTER for Digital Audio (ie has the SW controlled option for TOSLINK and I believe HW to connect): http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/206929,  however this is listed as 'Mature, not recommended for new designs.'

Slightly more complex from my point of view (but cheaper it would seem) would be to use an FPGA solution such as the example provided here: http://www.ni.com/example/27718/en/. My concern would be that I am not so sure of what adapters would be needed to get optical SPDIF into the card (this does not seem to be detailed anywhere). Additionally the FPGA hardware has now been superceeded by the NI PXI-7841R, and I would be concerned that the example code may not work directly and need altering ( I am not a programmer by training but have 2 years solid experience with LabVIEW, but none with FPGA) - I would not want to recommend the investment to my company and then struggle to configure the hardware and software (although we have a support contract with NI that may help).

I would be grateful for advice, or information about anyones experience developing a system for recording SPDIF data using either the AudioMaster system or example code for FPGA. Especially with regard to what is simplest, and current best practice.

Many thanks,

Dan.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,559 Views)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post - sadly maybe noone from the community with the required experience has found it yet.

Using the FPGA solution would require the FPGA and Real Time license if you/your company does not already have this, and we would highly recommend the Embedded Control and Monitoring training, which is a really useful course and this will allow you to increase your skill set, but this may not actually end up being the cheaper option.

With regards to the AudioMASTER option, it could be worth you calling into the office to speak to somebody from Inside Sales to see if they do recommend a replacement (i.e. how mature the product is) and what the recommended replacement is. The number to call from the UK is 01635 523545 - ask to be put through to Inside Sales.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

Amy K
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,471 Views)