LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

source has memory leak but execution doesn't

Is this normal?

I have a source code that runs parallel loops to acquire counter measurements, analog inputs, digital pulse generation and some loops dedicated to calculations and display.

If I run my source code, the memory used by labVIEW slowly increasing. it is fluctuatiinf but there is an increasing trend.

If I run the execurable of the same program, the used memory fluctuates but stays about the same over time.

I hope someone has the "under the hood" inight to expolain what is happening here

I monitores the memory used in windows task manager.

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,744 Views)

Sounds like the debugger is storing data and creating a leak.  Since the executable doesn't have this, no leak.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,725 Views)

Maybe you do still have a leak, but with less memory requirements (because no IDE) it might take longer to become a problem.  I'd run long term testing over a weekend or something with Performance Monitor (built in Windows program) logging various memory statistics.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,714 Views)

Thanks for the advice.

I'll let the executable running over the long weekend.

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,698 Views)

Thanks for your time. What you say makes sense.

What I don;'t understand is that, the VI analyser is dutifully warning me that a VIs has debugging enabled:

"This VI has debugging enabled, which can reduce performance slightly.  Consider disabling debugging in the VI Properties >> Execution dialog box for this VI. "

On the other hand, going one by one to uncheck the enable debugginh flag for each VI is not efficient when i have 30 VIs.
Is there a way to turn this falg off for all VIs in the LV project or in an entire hierarchy?

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,687 Views)

With VI Server you can do this programatically.  Open a reference to a VI based on the path, change this setting, then invoke the save.  But honestly this setting eats up very little performance, and I wouldn't expect it to take up more as the VI runs, so I don't think this is your fix.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,682 Views)