LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound generation

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use the NI example Generate Sound.vi in LV2011(32-bit) running on 64-bit Win7. The VI is set with the default settings and the Windows sound card configuration thru the control panel is the same: SR 44.1 kHz, 16-bit depth. Windows media player works fine, but the VI, I'm thinking, does not see the audio device (high definition device inherent on Intel MB S5520SC). I read a blurb from somewhere in the Developer Zone about making sure DirectX is installed. As the Win7 OS is a fresh install, it supposedly would have DirectX installed when the OS was, and indeed, in the x-86 program files folder there are dozens of references to directx. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks,

lb

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,064 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lebecker

Hi, if you look at the help from the sound VIs you can find that in deed DirectX 8.0 or higher is necessary to run the code. Now, drilling the VIs you'll find that they all use a common library called lvsound2.dll. My suggestion, try upgrading DirectX and confirm that the library is on the PC.  Other problem that I can think of might be related with the Device ID. Try to play around with values from 0 to 10 in case the sound output is indexed other than 0 (default).

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,034 Views)

Alejandro,

Using the command 'dxdiag' it was found that DirectX 11 was installed on the PC. The manufacturer's ID was '1' so I used that as the device ID, but to no avail. However, the VI did not bomb as in previous attempts using a non-zero device ID. Then I set the device ID back to default '0' and presto! it worked. Don't know why...could just running 'dxdiag' initialize something in LV to make it work?

Thanks for your help,

lb

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,028 Views)