LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solenoid Hardware

I need to buy 4 linear solenoids that can be controlled by labview.  I have found many different solenoids that will work.  The problem is finding the hardware to make them run from labview.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,817 Views)

I would recommend putting some more details on what solenoids (preferably data sheets) you are planning on using and what you are trying to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are (always) welcome for the good post. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,814 Views)

If you want advice on connecting your solenoids to a LV program, you will need to provide more information and ask specific questions.

Things like voltage and current requirements. Speed of changes. What controls the settings: the user or some data within the program?

What kinds of constraints do you have on your hardware selection? Do the solenoid vendors sell drivers?

Exactly what do you want from the Forum?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,813 Views)

I need to use 4  solenoid (preferably linear ) to block 4 laser beams that are one inch apart in a square formation.  The solenoid has to extend in a second or less.  They need to be less than 100 mm in length with a travel of 10-30 mm.  Voltage and current requirements are very flexible, we would like to be able to plug them into a 120 V outlet.  I have found hundreds of solenoids online.

The main problem is finding a way to control them from labview.  I need a piece of hardware that can be hooked up to the solenoid and then the hardware can be plugged into the computer by using a USB cable.

People have told me that I can build the hardware but I don't have the knowledge to do that.  I would rather just buy one.  Also, I am not even sure what the proper name for the hardware is.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,808 Views)

That helps.

One question: Do you want to completely block the beam in an on-off fashion or do you want to partially block it, for example 20% or 50%?

This makes a huge difference in the selection of the solenoids and controls.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,795 Views)

I need to completly block the beam in an on/off fasion.  The solenoid need to be retracted or extended.  So there are only 2 positions for it to be in.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,793 Views)

Mostly solenoids work in that way (On/OFF). Simple way would be Buy any solenoid according to your requirement connect it with the relay (With suffiecient power to drive the solenoid) and hook up the relay to the NI DAQ card so by controling the Relay you will be able to control the solenoid.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,788 Views)

OK.

That is the easiest.

Pick any solenoid which meets your physical size and travel distance requirements and has a 120 V coil.  Be aware that at the extreme extension, solenoids exert much less force than the maximum specified force when nearly closed.

Then buy a solid state relay (SSR) with 120 VAC output and low voltage DC input (typically 3-32 VDC). Choose any USB DAQ device with at least 4 digital outputs.

Drive the SSR from the DAQ device digital outputs.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,786 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

OK.

That is the easiest.

Pick any solenoid which meets your physical size and travel distance requirements and has a 120 V coil.  Be aware that at the extreme extension, solenoids exert much less force than the maximum specified force when nearly closed.

Then buy a solid state relay (SSR) with 120 VAC output and low voltage DC input (typically 3-32 VDC). Choose any USB DAQ device with at least 4 digital outputs.

Drive the SSR from the DAQ device digital outputs.

Lynn

I have to learn to reply like you in detail (for that I should have good knowledge 🙂 )

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,784 Views)

Meh; you can get a little 5V linear solenoid for pretty cheap.  The mass you're moving is a card to block a beam; you don't need a lot of force to move that.

A "Latching" solenoid stays where you put it - drive it out and cut teh power, it'll stay out.   A non-latching solenoid has a spring return (or may depend on something external like a spring or a load to pull it back) - when you cut power to it, the piston will return to its normal position. 

The "Stroke" is the change in position of the piston.  What kind of fixturing do you have, and what's the diameter of the beam?

You'll probably need a power supply and driver circuit to provide current to move the solenoids.  I like the ULN2003A chips, they're easy to work with and play nicely with DO's on the DAQs. 

The other option would be to use a stepper motor with a wheel on it that has slots for the light to pass through.  Some design work on the mechanical side could probably get you a wheel that would block or pass any combination of lazors with one motor and one wheel.  Ther will be some work on the software/logic side to figure out where you are and where you need to be to get a certain lazor pattern output. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,781 Views)