LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

skipping a step in case of error

Hi all,

Given that the internet connection is always active, my program processes raw data and sends reduced files via email (using STMP email send message.vi) to users on a timely basis. The problem is that when I loose the internet connectiton (let's say if a technitian needs to work on the internet connection and has to shut it down for a while), an error occurs and the program gets stuck since, I guess, it can't find the internet connection. Is there any way to make my program skip a particular step (in this case, STMP email send message.vi) and move on to the next step without stopping the program in case of errors caused by loosing the connectiton?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Yoon.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,651 Views)

hi,

You can use the case structures with the error cluster

Below is the description for using error handling with clusters but it applies to your case.:

When you wire an error cluster to the selector terminal of a case structure, the case selector label displays two cases, Error and No Error, and the border of the Case structure changes color—red for Error and green for No Error. If an error occurs, the Case structure executes the Error subdiagram.

So in the error sub diagram you can proceed further withour stopping you program.

hope it helps

let me know the results.

Regards

CLAD
Using Labview 5.1,6.1,7.1.8.0
Message 2 of 6
(2,638 Views)
I tried to make an example based on what you suggested (see attached screen shot). However, it still doesn't work. Can you tell me if I am missing anything?
Thanks.
Message 3 of 6
(2,627 Views)
In the lower diagram you probably need to go to ther error in (no error) control on your pront panel and click on the status checkbox within the error cluster to change it from a green arrow to a red cross. This will cause the code in error case to execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,623 Views)

It works now. However, I did not change anything (I did not change the check mark to red. I still leave it as green). What I had in the screen shot works just fine.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Message 5 of 6
(2,611 Views)

Hey

thanks this cross thing on the error cluster was a new learning.

regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,605 Views)