LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sizing a build for different monitors

Hi,

After making a build and running the .exe on different monitors in our lab I'm finding the window isn't sizing for the different monitor resolutions. What I tried to do was using the file->VI Properties->Window Size.

In this section I tried to check the "Maintain proportions...."  and redo the build. Now, the window opens and fits in every monitor I'm trying to run the .exe in. However, everything within that window is still the same size, and on smaller monitors goes off the screen edge. Really, this just buys not having to resize the window to fit manually.

I then tried to use the "Scale all object of front panel...." In this case it DOES NOT scale everything on the panel proportionately!  Therefore, a whole bunch of the items in the panel (texts, LEDs, etc) are now overlapping. How do I overcome this obstacle?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,322 Views)

> I then tried to use the "Scale all object of front panel...." In this case it DOES NOT scale everything on the panel proportionately!  

> Therefore, a whole bunch of the items in the panel (texts, LEDs, etc) are now overlapping. How do I overcome this obstacle?

Use splitter bar to saperate the front panel into panes.  ONE control per pane.

Right click the splitter bar to set pane sizing properties.

Set controls to Scale Object with pane.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,303 Views)

@zou wrote:

> I then tried to use the "Scale all object of front panel...." In this case it DOES NOT scale everything on the panel proportionately!  

> Therefore, a whole bunch of the items in the panel (texts, LEDs, etc) are now overlapping. How do I overcome this obstacle?

Use splitter bar to saperate the front panel into panes.  ONE control per pane.

Right click the splitter bar to set pane sizing properties.

Set controls to Scale Object with pane. 

That's some good advice.  I'd add that you don't need one control per pane if they are things that don't change size, and the pane doesn't change size.  Say I have a horizontal splitter with a table on top and buttons on the bottom.  When my window resizes the table grows but not the area on the bottom pane with buttons.  Down there I can have all the controls I want because that pane doesn't change size and there isn't a need to they only have buttons.

You'll likely end up with lots of splitters and lots of panes but when you invest time into getting it right it will work on any monitor, as a full screen application or not.

Oh and remember you can set the minimum windows size, and pane size for each pane if you want to help keep the UI not get too small.

Another alternative I've seen used is to have multiple UI VIs, and have them developed for a specific resolution, and then not allow the user to resize it.  So maybe have a VI for 800 by 600, and one for 1024 by 768.  The problem with this is there are so many "standard" resolutions this isn't really a good method.  Besides users like to be able to resize their windows like all normal programs can.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,283 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,277 Views)