LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple device control with LabVIEW 7

Hello,

I have been a LabVIEW user for about 6 months and feel very comfortable with the "basics." I have used V7.1 with SCB-68 connectors as well as SCXI-1100 systems. I have written vi's that take voltage in from a variety of devices and produce good results.

For the next phase of my "education" I would like to build simple vi's that do things like turn motors or pumps on and off. After that, I would like to be able to use a vi to say, adjust the speed of a DC motor.

Are there vi's or links at the NI site that can help. I have searched the site extensively but have not found anything that propels the user from the passive analog input stage to using LabVIEW to interact with devices in the lab.

Please advise.

Thanks!Robot Happy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,212 Views)
At this stage you move from programming Labview to interfacing to the real world and you need to use some different skills for this.

What you have to do is add a relay for example to the SCB68 to interface the logic line from the Input / Ouput card to allow switching a high current device such as a motor, solenoid or light bulb.

There is heaps of material which covers how to interface to the real world here http://www.ni.com/events/tutorials/campus.htm
With some examples of what is required and what NI products can be used.

Often the actual hardware interface from the NI boards is determined by the project requirements found in the real world. Correct selection of the interface details comes from a combination of training and 'experience in the field' or seeing how others have handled the problem.

Message Edited by Conseils on 07-01-2005 08:01 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,207 Views)
Unless you're using the SCXI-1600 to drive the SCXI system, you should have a DAQ card that has a couple analog outputs on it. If you do have have the SCXI-1600, you'll need to get hold of a DAQ card that has analog out's on it. Check out NIs M Series of cards or the SCXI analog output cards.

Once you have something that generatea a voltage, open the Example Finder in LabVIEW (Help>Find Examples) ans double click through "Hardware Input/Output>DAQmx>Analog Generation>Voltage" and you'll see several examples showing you how to create a voltage. These examples all have the source code included so you can see how everything is done. Use then as a starting point and save them somewhere else if yo modify one.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,203 Views)