From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal to noise ration for the attached signal

Hi every body

any one can help me to find the signal to noise ratio of the attached signal, and how to convert it to frequency domain. I know it is easy but it is not working with me since the power must have a main amplitude at the fundemental frequeny which is 1Hz and I cann't find any component there.

any help is appreciated

qqa

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,617 Views)

What have you tried?  Look at the Signal Processing->Waveform Measurements palette.  There are some nice goodies in there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,606 Views)

Thanks for your reply Kudos

I've used most of them Ive used the FFT to find the signal in frequeny domain and then I want to find the power of the signal,but I don't know how I wil find the power if the nosie in the signal at same time??????????

have you any idea? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,600 Views)

The SNR is defined as the ratio of signal power / noise power. So if you have an FFT you must decide which part of the spectrum is your signal. Then you can sum up the signal part of the spectrum giving you the signal power and the sum of the rest of the spectrum gives the noise power.

Cheers

Edgar

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,587 Views)

@ejkaiser wrote:

The SNR is defined as the ratio of signal power / noise power. So if you have an FFT you must decide which part of the spectrum is your signal. Then you can sum up the signal part of the spectrum giving you the signal power and the sum of the rest of the spectrum gives the noise power.

Cheers

Edgar

It sounds so easy - all you have to do is separate the signal from the noise, measure both, then take the ratio... Of course, if we could do that, we wouldn't have to worry about SNR in the first place!  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,582 Views)

@billko wrote:

@ejkaiser wrote:

Cheers

Edgar

It sounds so easy - all you have to do is separate the signal from the noise, measure both, then take the ratio... Of course, if we could do that, we wouldn't have to worry about SNR in the first place!  😉

Well Billko,

what is your message then?

This is exactly the procedure and LV provides the tools to do it. But as always: first one needs to understand the task, then the tools. We have to worry about SNR because it inevitably spoils the signal, not because it couldn't be measured.

Cheers

Edgar

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,561 Views)

Thanks you edgar

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,554 Views)

@ejkaiser wrote:

@billko wrote:

@ejkaiser wrote:

Cheers

Edgar

Well Billko,

what is your message then?

This is exactly the procedure and LV provides the tools to do it. But as always: first one needs to understand the task, then the tools. We have to worry about SNR because it inevitably spoils the signal, not because it couldn't be measured.

Cheers

Edgar

The point was to show that it is very easy to go down the wrong path if you have no guidance.  For instance, the OP painted themselves into a corner by believing that they needed to separate the signal from the noise to measure each, but you explained the real world, correct way to do it.  I was just pointing out the subtle flaw in the logic that if we could separate the signal from the noise, we wouldn't need to measure the noise because it would be irrelevant.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,537 Views)