LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

show structure labels by default?

When I drop a structure I almost always want to show and edit its label, especially with case structures, for & while loops.  So I repeat those 4 or 5 mouse movements every single time I drop one of these on the block diagram.

How can I get these things to drop with the label showing?  Replace with a customized version in the palette? how tough would it be to script something that would show the label and put focus and selection on the text?  Does anyone else do this?

-Barrett
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,421 Views)

Why don't you post this as an idea in the LabVIEW Ideas Exchange?

Maybe an option: "show structure labels by default".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,411 Views)

There is a little bit yes and many nos on this question:

You can make your own custom palettes. Normally they go under user.lib (there are hacks to get them somewhere at the 'main', but I'd do these hacks after you are satisfied with your own palette; I don't know about any documentation of these hacks, but OpenG uses them and it involves understanding/manipulating the .mnu files in the vi.lib).

There is an option to drop it 'inlined', so you won't drop it as subVI but all the code it put in the VI is placed on the BD.In older versions this option was called'merge VI' and available as a right-click menu option when you edit the palette. There is an community nugget about this on the forum. So you could use all the structurs with the lable showing.

But you guess you will loose the resize and enclose abilities by this, and it won't be worth this small benefit.

Concerning the lables, it is not possible to get a key focus on these or similar, as far as we know (there was a discussion on LAVA last month).

What seems more promissing is using a QD (quickdrop) plugin. When you hit the appropiate shortcut, you open a small dialog VI with the lable name (with key focus) and a key assignment of <Enter> for the ok button, script dropping the structure and manipulate the lable.

OR

Make an RCF plugin that pops up in a similar fashion on any structure (so with the Structure.Text property and Structure.Lable.Visible=true).

Join the appropiate groups for help on these in the communities section.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,400 Views)

@ altenbach: I just may, but I like to be sure I don't submit ideas that aren't already possible.

a quickdrop plugin is kind of what I had in mind for scripting, I already use ctrl-space + ctrl-T pretty heavily.

there are a couple of other documentation type tasks I would like to script: changing a free label to transparent background (for wire labeling), etc.  anyone have other suggestions?

Message Edited by blawson on 01-03-2010 09:04 PM
-Barrett
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,385 Views)