LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared variables

Hello,

I have an application (LV2013) that uses shared variables on the network.
When I build the application and I install it on the PC where I have developped it, the variables are properly distributed and accessible over the network.
When I install this application on another PC (without Labview), the variable distribution service sends an error message and the variables are not running (pj err_Labview.png).

Do you have any idea on what I could forget to do?
Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,502 Views)

Check you have installed LabVIEW Run Time Engine (it contains Shared Variables Engine SVE)  in your other PC. Check the version you're using in your development PC in MAX. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,493 Views)
How how many shared variables are we talking about?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,489 Views)
Thank you for your answers.
I don't have the Labview runtime installed by myself. I thought it was the installer's job. I will try to install it.
We are talking about 5 shared variables.
I'm going to try this and I come back.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,462 Views)
Thank you for your answers.
I don't have the Labview runtime installed by myself. I thought it was the installer's job. I will try to install it.
We are talking about 5 shared variables.
I'm going to try this and I come back.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,457 Views)
Well with only 5 being used, an alternative might be to not use shared variables. You can get the same functionality using a combination of VI Server and FGVs.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,436 Views)

Bruno,

I would also make sure your NI Variable Engine service is started.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,414 Views)

Thanks for your answers.

Effectively you have to install by yourself the runtime... All is working well now.

Other question : what is the difference between the absolute and relative reference mode for the shared variables ?

I'm also going to take a look using the server, do you have an example for me Mike ?

Bruno.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,396 Views)

@bruno.bel wrote:

Other question : what is the difference between the absolute and relative reference mode for the shared variables ?

I found the following in our help documentation, which I only say becuase I forgot that this was an option

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvconcepts/sv_using_nodes/

An absolute Shared Variable node always connects to the shared variable on the target on which you created the shared variable. Shared Variable nodes are absolute by default. If a VI contains an absolute Shared Variable node and you open the VI on a new target, the VI breaks because the node attempts to connect to the shared variable on the target on which you created the shared variable. Use absolute Shared Variable nodes when you do not expect to move VIs and variables to other targets.

A target-relative Shared Variable node always connects to the shared variable on the target that runs the VI that containing the Shared Variable node. If you move a VI that contains a target-relative Shared Variable node to a new target, you also must move the shared variable to the new target because target-relative Shared Variable nodes can connect to shared variables on the local host only. Use target-relative Shared Variable nodes when you are accessing shared variables on the local host and you expect to move VIs and variables to other targets.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,371 Views)
Start here:

http://www.notatamelion.com/2015/05/25/using-vi-server-to-interact-with-executables/

The specific example shows using VI Server to fire a remote UDE, but the process is the same for writing to or reading from a FGV.

You might also find this helpful:

http://www.notatamelion.com/2014/12/22/when-are-udes-not-the-right-answer/

Mike....

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,359 Views)