LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared variables missing in distributed system manager

Hello Faustina,

Was the result the same on the example project? Also I would like to know the status on the NI Variable Engine found at Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>NI Variable Engine. Make sure the service’s status is Started and the Startup Type to Automatic. If not set this properties reboot your computer and check again for the status, afterwards test the project or a simplified project. Also do you have the error code from the message you mentioned before?

Finally I attached a ZIP file to this post to test if there were issues with this process, you can attach a zip file from the attachment option on the botton of the post reply.

Jose R
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,534 Views)

Is there a max size on attachments Jose?  I'm guessing he's tried to post his zip that way and reached a max size so it's not attached.

faustina, nobody here is trying to belittle you.  You're just not offering a lot of information so we're asking probing questions to try to understand what's happening.  There's no need to be so feisty in response.  Code does exactly what you tell it to do.  If "nothing" changed in the setup, nothing would change in the behavior.  It's good to know you didn't change the hardware.  Is it possible any automatic software updates installed?  Windows 7 32/64?  LabVIEW 2012 32/64?  Did you try Jose's project and see similar behavior?  If you create a shared variable outside of a library, can you see that in the DSM?  If you create a new project with a lib containing a single shared variable, can you see both the library and the shared variable in the DSM?  Is it safe to assume all of your work has been contained to a single computer so we're not worrying about network issues between two computers?  Even with one computer, firewalls can be an issue.  Did you make any modifications to your firewall or anti-virus?  Are you able to disable both temporarily to see if you can see the shared variables in the DSM while they're off?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,529 Views)

In a ZIP file I've tried to attach (again) there is a simple example that demonstrates how my application is using the shared variable.  In the PPT file in the ZIP file there are: 

1) screen shots of the properties of the shared variable

2) how it is data bound to an indicator

3) the runtime error generated (-19506790335)

4) what the library looks like Distributed System Manager

5) what NI Network Variable Engine looks like in Windows Services.

NI Network Engine has started and the Startup Type is Automatic.

My ZIP file is only 311KB so I don't understand which end (mine or NI) is preventing me from attaching it.  I ended up emailing it to Daniel Parrott who has hopefully forwarded on to Luis Diego Calderon.

In my example, the library contains only a single shared variable.  The library shows up in the DSM but not the shared variable.  I will try no library just shared variable.

All our PCs on all our sites are isolated, no connections to the outside world.  Only Ethernet connections to hardware at the site such as cRIO, cDAQ, and PXI.  My application is running at multiple sites with no problems.  All are using LabVIEW 2012 and Symantec Endpoint Protection.  Some are using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit or 32-bit, others are using Windows 7 Pro SP1  64-bit or 32-bit. 

My system admin assures me he has not done any software updates.  When he on as administrator and we try run the simple example, we get the same results.  Even logging on as admin does not allow us to stop the NI Network Engine.

I will try Jose's VI and see if there is any difference.

I'm also trying to determine what is different between all the other sites where the application is working properly, and the site where I'm having problems. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,521 Views)