LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share atomation refnum between vis

Hello,

I'm woring in a library (llb) to handle a multimeter with IVI-COM driver, but i have some issues because i want to have different vi files according with the action required by the user (Init, DCv measurement, ACV measurement, etc.).

I have tried to set an Automation Refnum as a global variable, a Functional Global Variable with the input/output as Automation Refnum and an Action Engine with the Automation Refnum - Open Automation - Initialize methid inside in the default case but i still have the same error message when i run my application that use the vis inside the llb:

"An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @."

I set some probes in the reference lines and even the value of the references is the same, it seems to me that the object of the dmm driver were closed by the first vi called (Init).

Any help would be great, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,624 Views)

Hey Angel;

Could you please post your code so that I can take a look at it..

You can try to Pass the Automation Refnum to a VI using ActiveX Automation

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,572 Views)

Hi Marisol,

I attach the example LLB file just with the Automation Refnum global variable.

First I call the Init, then the MeasDCV and in the end the Close.

But when the MeasDCV is called the first object in the VI file sent the error.

I'm starting to believe that the launcher, that the client want to use, could be the problem.

Let me know if it's a better idea to use the Functional Globlal Variable and i will send you the same example with that feature.

Also I'm checking the link that you mentioned in your post.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,558 Views)

Hello Angel;

Instead of using a global variable, I believe it is easier to use a simple indicator and then pass the refference from one VI to the Next as in the following image

Capture.JPG

I even added some descriptive images and changed some constants to controls so that you can modify some parameters while running your program

Could you try this out? I reattached the library.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,549 Views)

Hello Marisol,

Thank you for the modified library, but I can't use the VIs in that way because the execution is done without a fixed top level VI that connect all the other ones.

The way they share the information is with global variables between the VIs. But for some reason the global variable of the Automation Refnum generates error, I already tried with a string global variable to store the Resource Name and that works but i have to open the reference and initialize the instrument inside each VI so the driver recognizes which device it is going to communicate. I would like to avoid that open/initialize part for all the VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,545 Views)