cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting intensity graph to blinking causes LV2012 to crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

This VI crashes when setting blinking to TRUE, using LV2012, Win7 32 bit. I saw that this was a bug in 2004 , hasn't it been fixed yet? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
Message 1 of 6
(2,918 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dsavir

Yup, still broken LV2013SP1.

I'm not making any excuses for non-action, but I would image that blinking an intensity graph isn't something they get a lot of complaints about...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 6
(2,884 Views)

Thanks for the update, Mike. I'm sure that they don't get many complaints about it, but I wanted to check out something it could've been useful for and it was annoying that it crashed...

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,863 Views)

I was curious if this bug is fixed or not, so I checked it out in the recent LabVIEW 2019. It seems to be still alive and celebrating its 17th b-day (the very first thread was about 2002). I'm getting 32-bit LabVIEW hang up and 64-bit LabVIEW crash when setting Blinking on Intensity Chart or Graph, no matter which control style is used (Modern, Silver, Classic or even NXG). The similar situation happens with empty Mixed Signal Graph (non-empty behaves okay).

So why we're still not setting a CAR ID for this bug and not adding it to Known Issues list? Isn't it possible to wrap the blinking code into additional check and do nothing, if we can't provide Blinking functionality for Intensity Chart / Graph? At least LabVIEW wouldn't hang or crash anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,105 Views)

Hi dadreamer,

This issue is actually captured in CAR 581895 and the current workaround is to create a Boolean indicator next to the graph to indicate blinking.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "Isn't it possible to wrap the blinking code into additional check"

Noah B.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,085 Views)

Thanks, Noah!

This ID must have been strictly internal (as no tracks of it in the search) or is it just registered? Anyway it's good to see this being investigated, even if it has got a low priority. Under additional check I meant something like this pseudo-code, running when the user decided to activate the blinking on Intensity Chart or Graph:

if (ClassName == IntensityGraph) && (Blinking) {

//do nothing here instead of the current code

}

I assume, LabVIEW executable source codes should be altered for it. However I don't know the real reasons behind the bug (graphics related?), so it's just a wild suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,077 Views)