LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set no flow control

When I set the flow control to 'none' under the VISA Property Node and run a port monitoring program, it shows that the controlhandshake is SERIAL_DTR_CONTROL. Is there a way to set the controlhandshake to none? For that matter, is the controlhandshake property related directly to flow control? I am very new at the handshaking properites of serial ports, so I apologize if this makes very little sense. After I set the flow control to 'none' and then read the flow control property, the result is 'none', so I know that LabVIEW is writing it to the port, but why then is controlhandshake set to the serial_dtr_control and not none?

Thanks in advance.

dkopp

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,136 Views)

DTR is not a form of flow control.  DTR stands for Data Terminal Ready, and it goes hi when the device sees DSR (Data Set Ready) go high.  It is just an indicator to say that the device sees the computer.  It does not do any flow control.  Flow control terminals are RTS and CTS for hardware flow control.  Software flow control sends commands called XON and XOFF.  I would not pay any attention to what the VISA property node is saying.  It has to put something in there.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,122 Views)