LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial integers transmission

hello, i have to do a serial-integer transmission that convert 12 byte  ( from 0 to 4096 ) in a volt numeric number  ( from 0 to 5 volt )  . Can anyone help me please ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,280 Views)

Have you created any code yet at all?  Is there something in particular that isn't working?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,261 Views)

@lucabasile wrote:

hello, i have to do a serial-integer transmission that convert 12 byte  ( from 0 to 4096 ) in a volt numeric number  ( from 0 to 5 volt )  . Can anyone help me please ?

I think you mean 12 bit (0 to 4095).

What is the communication method?  Over what hardware?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,255 Views)
my task is to maintain the temperature 
of 1000 degrees on a metal specimen and the available
instrumentation is: nano Arduino, temperature sensor thermocouple max6675, voltmeter and labview.
I did the program but now I was required to do this integer serial transmission,
could not find anything on the internet about it
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,241 Views)

Can you show is how these 12 bytes (or bits) look like?

• Is it a string with 12 elements, each either the character 0 or 1?
  • Is it a binary string of 2 bytes (16bits) where 12 of those describe the number? Which 12?
  • Big endian or little endian?
  • It is something else? Are there some termination characters?

Easiest would be if you could attach a simple VI that contains the received string as a diagram constant.

(Run your VI until you receive correct data in a string control. Stop the VI. Right click the terminal of the string control and "create constant". Copy that constant into a new VI and attach it here). If you know it, tell us what the number is supposed to be. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,223 Views)
I was asked to do a potentiometer 0 to 4096, and according to the chosen number, 
by connecting the PC Arduino Nano and the voltmeter I have to leave output a number from 0 to 5 volts.
sorry if you are not clear but are unfamiliar with LabVIEW
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,215 Views)

You don't have a LabVIEW problem. All you need to tell us how the received string looks like.

Since you posted in the LabVIEW forum, we would assume that your problem has something to do with LabVIEW. If not, this thread does not belong here. I can move it elsewhere if needed. 

(There is also no need to place your text into code tags. Irritating!)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,207 Views)

the output must be a numeric indicator, if i understand what you mean

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,201 Views)

@lucabasile wrote:
I was asked to do a potentiometer 0 to 4096, and according to the chosen number, 
by connecting the PC Arduino Nano and the voltmeter I have to leave output a number from 0 to 5 volts.
sorry if you are not clear but are unfamiliar with LabVIEW

What part are you having trouble with?

Converting your raw ADC value to a voltage? If your raw ADC is 0 to 4096 and that corresponds to 0 to 5 volts.

Then isn't it simply 5/4096=0.001220703125? (Let's call it 1.22mV/bit) 

So you take your raw ADC value and multiply times .00122 to get your voltage.

You might as well do that inside the Arduino and using serial.print send the voltage to a LabVIEW program that reads the incoming value with VISA Serial Read and displays it.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,188 Views)

It might also help us understand your situation if you gave a drawing of how all of the pieces are connected.  I am feeling more confused with each post you make.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,165 Views)