cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

Im doing project for acquiring sensor values from a micro controller instead of DAQ, the problem i m facing is i need transfer the values which i got from the micro controller to the pc via serial communication with the help of LabVIEW.  please do tell me the concept of it, i just heard of VISA but im so new to it, please give me any circuit diagram or a file to make it done.

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,732 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rithesh

serial communication concept in labVIEW is easy and you can understand it from LabVIEW help or search forum or google for it.

you want use write or read VISA ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,727 Views)
Does your micro have a serial port or a USB connection that can be made to emulate one? That is where you must start. Then you write code for the micro to send the values. There are numerous protocols that you can implement such as ascii text with separators (i.e a comma) and a terminator (i.e. a cr or lf). Binary transfer, etc. You won't find code for that here unless you are using an arduino. You could look at how that is done or find a forum for your micro.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,719 Views)

http://cnx.org/content/m12293/latest/

the diagram at the bottom of this link shows what I think is a good example.

Instea dof using that first VISA serial vi you can drop a visa alias constant, right click on it and create a property node, right click on that, select change all to write, then select from those options (baud rate etc) what you need to configure.

-pat

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,676 Views)

read VISA..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,653 Views)

I m using arduino IC, but i took it out from the board and gave a separate clock circuit to it..so what shall i do ??

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,650 Views)
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'it' or 'gave a separate clock circuit'.

The arduino is supported with the LINX and the older LIFA toolkits. Please check those for programming an arduino. Questions should be posted to the community board and not here.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,639 Views)

Use the arduino print line function, like you are printing debugging data to the Arduino development GUI.

Set up the arduino interface to write your serial output to a known serial port, and test it.

Set up your labview VISA interface to read from that same port.

Connect Arduino and look in control panel, and check that you can see the arduino as a device, connected to the correct port.

Run your Arduino program and labview at the same time. (That is to say, after you have uploaded the program to arduino, and tested it with Arduino development GUI, shut down the development GUI and just plug your Arduino into the USB port, and power up the Arduino. Your program will start running. You could put a couple of LEDs on the arduino board to indicate program status, like "Green LED on means all OK.")

Arduino will pump data to the serial port as your program executes. Labview reads from the port.

(You can't see this until your labview program captures the data and then displays it for you, assuming you put something in your VI to show "bytes received" or whatever)

You'll have to manage setting up your VI to check for "bytes available at port" flushing the buffer etc. 

Arduino will simply keep sending data to the port, as your program demands.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,627 Views)